Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

L2TP + IPSec does not work in Debian 10

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Abormot

L2TP + IPSec does not work in Debian 10

#1 Post by Abormot »

I installed nerwork-manager-l2tp-gnome with all dependecies and libraries but it does not connect to my server.

csarnow

Re: L2TP + IPSec does not work in Debian 10

#2 Post by csarnow »

I have the same problem.
I can connect with a windows client and with my android phone, but with linux it does not work.
the logfile says
VPN connection: failed to connect: 'invalid ipsec-gateway-id 'ipsec-gateway-id''

Which is BS, because I did not enter "ipsec-gateway-id" as "ipsec-gateway-id".
I tried setting this to the gateway hostname, to the gateway ip address, deleting it from the config, and the error message stays the same.

Anyone got any ideas???

trinidad

#3 Post by trinidad »

You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

csarnow

#4 Post by csarnow »

Since I last posted, I have played around a bit more with the VPN configuration.
I could not get it to work with the network-manager-l2tp plugin, but with plain config files
for strongswan (NOT libreswan) and xl2tpd and pppd I finally have it working!

One reason my first attempts without network-manager-l2tp did not work, is that my VPN username
contains a backslash, which needs to be escaped in the config file (two backslashes instead of one).