Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Noobish help

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Reedo11

Noobish help

#1 Post by Reedo11 »

Hey, I recently installed Debian linux on another computer, and after installing and signing in, it stays on this black screen like dos. I'm pretty sure there's a command to go to the actual operating system so I can set it up, but I don't know it, so I'm stuck on this dos screen. Could you post that command and possibly other useful commands? That would really help, thanks!
PS: apparently, I have no "x' :?

drdebian

Re: Noobish help

#2 Post by drdebian »

Hi there!
Reedo11 wrote:Hey, I recently installed Debian linux on another computer, and after installing and signing in, it stays on this black screen like dos. I'm pretty sure there's a command to go to the actual operating system so I can set it up, but I don't know it, so I'm stuck on this dos screen. Could you post that command and possibly other useful commands? That would really help, thanks!
Just to clear up some confusion on your part first, the black DOS screen you're referring to already is the actual operating system! Once you log in you can do everything you want, if you know where to look.

Now, it sounds like you want to have a graphical interface to the already running operating system. Simply log in as root and issue these commands:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get x-window-system kde kdm
This should install the X-Window-System as well as the KDE desktop environment.

Re: Noobish help

#3 Post by Guest »

drdebian wrote:Hi there!
Reedo11 wrote:Hey, I recently installed Debian linux on another computer, and after installing and signing in, it stays on this black screen like dos. I'm pretty sure there's a command to go to the actual operating system so I can set it up, but I don't know it, so I'm stuck on this dos screen. Could you post that command and possibly other useful commands? That would really help, thanks!
Just to clear up some confusion on your part first, the black DOS screen you're referring to already is the actual operating system! Once you log in you can do everything you want, if you know where to look.

Now, it sounds like you want to have a graphical interface to the already running operating system. Simply log in as root and issue these commands:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
This should install the X-Window-System as well as the KDE desktop environment.
Thanks a lot dude! I'm guessing I'll need internet access for that?

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

Maybe not. Did you install Debian from the net-install CD or from the larger CD No. 1? If you used CD No. 1 and you still have access to it, it should contain the files you want to install. Follow these directions, then use the commands drdebian supplied.

Reedo11

#5 Post by Reedo11 »

Okay, I think I'm connected, and apt-get update works, but not the other code, maybe I'm not connected? Is there a way to check my connection? Also, is there another code I could use to get the xwindows interface? And if not, is there anything similar to it?

drdebian

#6 Post by drdebian »

Reedo11 wrote:Okay, I think I'm connected, and apt-get update works, but not the other code, maybe I'm not connected? Is there a way to check my connection? Also, is there another code I could use to get the xwindows interface? And if not, is there anything similar to it?
There's actually a typo in the 2nd command... Sorry for that. Instead of
it should be
apt-get install x-window-system kde kdm

Reedo11

#7 Post by Reedo11 »

Ok, cool, is there a way to know if I'm connected to the internet, or a way to tell it to connect?

Tassu

#8 Post by Tassu »

Reedo11 wrote:Ok, cool, is there a way to know if I'm connected to the internet, or a way to tell it to connect?
the ping command is always good for checkin internet and other network connections, simply type
ping -c 5 www.fi
you can change the "www.fi" part to any domain name or ip-address you want.