Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

All browsers use only 1 core (super slow browsing)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
RebelCoder

All browsers use only 1 core (super slow browsing)

#1 Post by RebelCoder »

Hello.

I have been using Debian (Stable and Testing) for 3+ years now. Recently (about a month ago) I started having this odd behavior where all browsers use just one core (thread), and for some reason specifically number 7, and even resizing browser windows is super slow. Browsing/Scrolling is super slow. I have tried Firefox (70-71), latest Chromium, Brave, Opera. All act exactly the same. Just use thread/Core 7 and are super slow. Watching a video on YT or any animated content just kills PC performance. This was not the case at all until about a month ago.

Today I have reinstalled Debian Stable and I still have the same behavior.

FIREFOX:

BRAVE:

Here is some extra output:

inxi -G:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK106M [GeForce GTX 765M] driver: N/A 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 2560x1440_60.00~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6
Any advise would be a great help.

stevepusser

Re: All browsers use only 1 core (super slow browsing)

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Does the same thing happen with a kernel that uses a different scheduler, such as the current 5.3 Liquorix kernel?

A little off-topic, but is your machine an Optimus laptop, and do you have GPU switching working on it?
MX Linux packager and developer

RebelCoder

#3 Post by RebelCoder »

Does the same thing happen with a kernel that uses a different scheduler, such as the current 5.3 Liquorix kernel?
I have not tried it yet. Will try now.
A little off-topic, but is your machine an Optimus laptop, and do you have GPU switching working on it?
Yes. And it is working with bumblebee driver as it should. I run GPU apps with primusrun.

But the strange thing is this: I was always on Stable or Testing, With stable kernel (4.19) and never had this issue. Now, as I mentioned, all browsers have this issue and just scrolling search results has effect on a video in VLC for example. Fan is always on as machine gets to hot. I am on the same setup for 3+ years now and all was just fine.

RebelCoder

#4 Post by RebelCoder »

Same result + bumblebee (optimus) drivers do not work. So I need to figure out why it suddenly has this issue and a very peculiar one, where it uses core/thread 7 specifically. It happened exactly when I need to do a lot of work, damn....

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I've had the 435.21 Nvidia driver backports for MX Linux running with Bumblebee and 5.3 kernels, so maybe your driver just won't build with that newer kernel. The last time I pulled the source, they were still in Experimental.

Zjho

#6 Post by Zjho »

Noticed in list of tried browsers Chromium is mentioned but not Chrome ?

andre@home

#7 Post by andre@home »

Try this combi, ultimately it worked. Adapt it to the drivers you have.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/351404/ ... s-unclamed
managed to get it going by following the solution here, in other words by using:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/135932/ ... ny-sources

cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
   sudo rm xorg-edgers-ppa-trusty.list
   sudo reboot
And this for additional tips?
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... in-ubuntu/

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

Never heard the like of this. It's outside my ken, being gnu/Linux uber-geeks have designed and developed stuff capable of doing just about anything/everything imaginable on a pc and plenty a mere mortal such as myself would have no idea existed too no doubt. :D

Taking a shot in the dark, going to assume this is something self inflicted and something you'd done in terms of config'ing that'd be the culprit. Do know there are ways to set cpu(processor)affinity for stuff. Would look at stuff along these lines. Never really got into it but do know there are ways to tell whichever processes to use this or that core, also junk like cgroups-etc. Again, only ever briefly read up on that topic. May be something else to investigate. Dang fellow nixer, weird situation, hope you get it under control. Such would drive me nutz and tempt me to pull out handfuls of hair. Good thing I got a buzz cut I guess. Plenty of other gnu/Nix related stuff already makes me wanna, yanno ? :D

Dumb afterthought, was thinking apparmor ( which was one of the first services I disabled with systemctl on my new Buster install. When reached the fiddling with autostart services phase of the process.) Anyway, mentioned was dumb to think of it and adding this cause it might help ya out and also I now want to dork with cpu pinning sometime too, so this will be a handy self reminder to screw with it whenever. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Deb-fan

#9 Post by Deb-fan »

Random but I think it's related(also nother self note too :) .) Needs to be a utility which tracks user edited system files, marks them for easy pull-up review on an OS. However ... will bet money some kickbutt geek has already done such or that there's more than one way to do it already in gnu/Linux. Again ... what have you been fiddling with that you can recall which may be responsible for this weirdness ? What were you setting up, playing with and/or installed prior to noticing this odd browser behavior ?

Not pointing fingers but can't see how stuff like this could just happen out of the blue. Errrr so make that I am pointing fingers I guess @ you OP. :) Could very well be wrong too and would investigate the cpu pinning and affinity angle. Never heard of anything like what you're describing and wish you luck in getting it fixed. When ya do ... please let us know what went on ?

Also while kinda dumb, may in fact look over apparmor. Never really learned much about it either but believe it can/does somewhat control what can access what, under which conditions it's allowed, perhaps amount of resources granted too etc and so forth. I have no use for the thing and noted, I've disabled it and generally compile it out of kernel's when doing a custom one. Been meaning to look into it but it's just one thing on a longggggg list of junk I've meant to research about. Might check out some of these search results ?
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

andre@home wrote:Try this combi, ultimately it worked. Adapt it to the drivers you have.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/351404/ ... s-unclamed
managed to get it going by following the solution here, in other words by using:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/135932/ ... ny-sources

cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
   sudo rm xorg-edgers-ppa-trusty.list
   sudo reboot
And this for additional tips?
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... in-ubuntu/
Why the heck are you advising the OP to make a mess of their system with six year old Ubuntu PPA solutions when the 435.21 driver should solve the problem? Brand new kernels need brand new (or patched) drivers much of the time--it's no mystery!

andre@home

#11 Post by andre@home »

Why the heck are you advising the OP to make a mess of their system with six year old Ubuntu PPA solutions
Please read well..... :mrgreen:
. Adapt it to the drivers you have.

RebelCoder

#12 Post by RebelCoder »

I have re-installed Debian and Netrunner Linux. Tired both with Stable and Testing. After few hours of use this issue comes right back and never goes away again. This browser, using single core issue is slowing down the whole PC. And again, it started a month + ago after some update. So Debian Stable/Testing is somehow not working correctly on a system that it worked amazingy well for a few years. And the problem is, I don't want to switch to non-Debian distro. Damn!

andre@home

#13 Post by andre@home »

Just to be sure: Is your power supply for the CPU OK? Itself but also the extra connector thats often mounted close the the CPU?
As the CPU may limit itself in the amount of active cores... because of that... and in that case you are looking for the wrong solution.

RebelCoder

#14 Post by RebelCoder »

It is a laptop I have (using the same one for 3+ years on Debian). I think I might have found the issue. This seems to happen after sleep/restore. Will do some more tests. But it clearly happened after latest updates from a month ago.

RebelCoder

#15 Post by RebelCoder »

This seems to happen after sleep/restore
Nope. Not the case. Anyway. Will try moving this laptop to Fedora or KDE Neon and see if this issue is on those distros even though I prefer Debian as I run it on many other PCs around.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Is it just one browser, or all? Other applications? What happens if you install s-tui and stress, and use that to push your CPU to the max?