[solved] Buster no splash screen; updated

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: Buster no splash screen; updated

Postby ticojohn » 2019-11-03 22:43

I doubt it too. I did not have Plymouth installed on Stretch.
I'm not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.
ticojohn

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-11-03 23:31

Breezed through most of this so someone could very well have already mentioned it but what does it say in the /etc/default/grub file under the following line, does it look similar to this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" ? If not try changing it to such and of course "sudo update-grub" as it tells someone in the file to do after any edits. OP/Ticojohn sounds like you know mucho more about this topic, than myself. Personally prefer to see the text scrolling at boot-up, sometimes helps to spot issues. At least really obvious ones, making them just that much easier to run down and fix.
Deb-fan

Postby ticojohn » 2019-11-04 02:05

Deb-fan wrote:Breezed through most of this so someone could very well have already mentioned it but what does it say in the /etc/default/grub file under the following line, does it look similar to this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" ?

My original post has the entire code for the grub file, and yes GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" is there. I prefer a silent boot which does NOT preclude error messages from being displayed. And Buster has a boot.log which can be easily reviewed if there are issues. I mean really, why have the "quiet" option if it can't be made "quiet" by removing "splash"?
ticojohn

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-11-04 02:23

Mentioned it's clear you know more about this than I do. Just popped into head as something relevant. No worries on the preference thing, it's preference and people are free to config whatever, however works best for them. That previous babble pretty much sums up what I've bothered learning about this aspect of gnu/Linux. Need to go back and read through the whole thread you + others have no doubt included some interesting info about it. May as well learn something. Though noted, I prefer watching the mystical looking text scroll by. :D
Deb-fan

Postby kedaha » 2019-11-04 10:41

Deb-fan wrote:Though noted, I prefer watching the mystical looking text scroll by. :D

Like ticojohn I prefer a splash screen to "the mystical looking text" because I can peruse the logs at my leisure.
Anyway, could it be that kernel modesetting is not enabled? What does this say?
Code: Select all
# dmesg | grep drm
Mate DE & OSSv4.
FreedomBox in Debian
ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
kedaha

Postby ticojohn » 2019-11-04 12:38

Of course drm is included. Everything has been set according to the Debian wiki on Plymouth.
[quote="ticojohn"]Well, I found something that might be an issue. In the Debian Plymouth Wiki it instructs the user to edit the /etc/initramfs_tools/modules file to add
Code: Select all
intel_agp
drm
i915 modeset=1
ticojohn

Postby trinidad » 2019-11-04 14:30

At the beginning you say two drives with different systems. Are you dual booting? Buster displays boot-up messages if grub was installed to the drive from a default Stretch X11 system.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.
trinidad

Postby ticojohn » 2019-11-04 18:03

trinidad wrote:At the beginning you say two drives with different systems. Are you dual booting? Buster displays boot-up messages if grub was installed to the drive from a default Stretch X11 system.

Yes I am dual booting, but not exactly sure what you're implying. Initially both drives had Stretch and I upgraded on drive to Buster. The /boot/grub/grub.cfg file on new Buster drive would have been generated from the /etc/default/grub file on the Buster drive, would it not? Why would it matter that the system is booting from grub on the Stretch drive?
ticojohn

Postby ticojohn » 2019-11-04 18:11

@trinidad YES. You got it. Your comment made me think. After all the putzing around with grub in Buster, I never thought about having to update grub on my boot drive. Without updating grub on the boot drive it still had the original boot information for the other drive. How DUMB of me. Thank you for giving me the path to resolving that issue.

KUDOS to trinidad. Will mark this as solved. Thank you trinidad.

UPDATE: I upgraded to Buster on my Intel NUC. Now that I know how to do it, everything went as smooth as grease on a glass pole. :lol:
ticojohn

Previous

Return to General Questions