Deleting /home/"$USER" didn't clear all settings for gui

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Deleting /home/"$USER" didn't clear all settings for gui

Postby jmgibson1981 » 2019-11-28 17:14

I like to keep my /home relatively clean. I recently switched from Gnome to XFCE and decided today that I would redo my /home to get rid of all my gnome config files (yes I know they aren't hurting anything. ocd I suppose). At any rate, logged my user out of all terminals and ttys, then out of the gui. Logged into the system as root and deleted my /home/"$USER" directory. Re-created, copied the /etc/skel files to it, and chown -R "$USER":"$USER" /home/"$USER". Restarted lightdm just for good measure and went to log in.

My previous wallpaper was still set, my xfce configs were all still in place. The bars were how I left them. It didn't give me a fresh login basically. I'm curious as to why this is? I was under the impression that every single thing related to a given user is under that users /home directory. I did have to log back into Chrome, and reconfig my Gnucash and Digikam to use my sql server though.

It seems that everything XFCE related was saved and didn't get reset to fresh.
jmgibson1981

Re: Deleting /home/"$USER" didn't clear all settings for gui

Postby L_V » 2019-11-28 17:52

If you delete /home/$USER as root, $USER is ... root !
L_V

Postby andre@home » 2019-11-28 19:47

Have a look at this as you did what you did but the root account is still alive...
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost1021495
andre@home

Postby jmgibson1981 » 2019-11-28 20:46

i suppose if i had typed /home/jason it would have made more sense? i only used the variable to point to any possible user. i did not dump /root.

Code: Select all
rm -r /home/jason

directory gone completely.

mkdir -p /home/jason
cp /etc/skel/.* /home/jason/
chown -R jason:jason /home/jason/

this is what i typed. i tend to use variables in forums. suppose a name is irrelevant. it's a sad day when the first thought is someone crashed their root account. does that happen often?

logged in and all my xfce settings were still there.

i just now ended up dumping that user and just creating myself another user. when i went to delete jason i found a ton of processes stuck running. not sure why they persisted after being logged out but i'd guess a good 15-20 processes. a few of chrome, a few of some kind of agent. can't recall what it was exactly. had to manually kill them all before i could execute
deluser jason
jmgibson1981

Postby L_V » 2019-11-29 07:33

jmgibson1981 wrote:this is what i typed. i tend to use variables in forums.

'$USER' was confusing in what you described, and I did not say it was "stupid". I would have used /home/<user> to be sure <user> is not ... a variable wrongly identified by root.

jmgibson1981 wrote: it's a sad day when the first thought is someone crashed their root account. does that happen often?

Nothing sad, because "home" of root is not located at /home/root, but '/root'. As you can see, everything can be stupid, even the situation you described !
If the root cause of your problem was still running processes, you then did not need to delete a user account to change a wallpaper.
L_V

Return to General Questions