Bios update

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: Bios update

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2019-12-12 12:55

cuckooflew wrote:
Kenshin Himura wrote:Hello guys. I would like to ask if there is a possibility to update my bios without using windows and of course avoiding getting screwed the laptop if i used the exe with wine or etc and the program crash by accident.

I am not a big fan of using full quotes, but in this case I think it is useful. As for this:
The lenovo gives nothing but an exe at their site to update the bios, so... Your way i think can't be useful.

Ok, well I apologize if you find my answer is not use full, others might find some of the the links I shared use full, but in any event I apologize for taking the time to try to help, and do the searches to find those links,. my advice for consider using a professional techs to help you still stands, or for anyone else, yes I do realize sometimes there are no professionals in the area, or we can not afford one, but if this is the only laptop or PC you have, and it is critical to not brick the machine, and if you do some research, you will see that every tutorial that might be use full says the same warning :
Warning: Flashing motherboard BIOS is a dangerous activity that can render your motherboard inoperable! While the author of this article has successfully run this procedure many times, your mileage may vary. Be careful! You may want to consider updating microcode instead if it is supported by your system.

So it would be wise to at least do your experimenting and learning on some other laptop, if you have one avaialbel, if not, I still stand by my advise to try to get professional help, especially on your first try. My experience, I did trash the first one I tried, and ended up having to take it to a shop, and that is where some additional tips were explained to me,
The lenovo gives nothing but an exe at their site to update the bios, so... Your way i think can't be useful.

I do not know if the lenovo .exe file requires Dos or Windows, you might consider consulting with lenovo support on that, since you don't think my advice is use full, I will not waste my time trying to get that info, However I will share a tip /hint, that the tech I used shared with me, he used Hirens Boot CD, it include tools that will run either Dos, or windows .exe files. Free Dos, is not critical, but it is still maintained, and easily available for free, MS Dos can be used as well, but it is outdated and not maintained, that is a entire other topic though. Hirens boot CD, and more info on that are easily available using some search foo.
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/hbcd-v152/
BIOS / CMOS Tools

Award DMI Configuration Utility 2.43: DMI Configuration utility for modifying/viewing the MIDF contents (Dos Freeware).
!BIOS 3.20: A powerfull utility for bios and cmos (Dos Freeware).
BIOS Cracker 5.0: BIOS password remover (cmospwd) (Dos Freeware).
BIOS Utility 1.35.0: BIOS Informations, password, beep codes and more (Dos Freeware).
CMOS 0.93: CMOS Save / Restore Tool (Dos Freeware).
DISKMAN4: A powerful all in one utility (Windows/Dos Freeware).
Kill CMOS: A tiny utility to wipe cmos (Dos Freeware).
UniFlash 1.40: BIOS flash utility (Dos Freeware).

I apologize if my way seems to not be use full to some people, but for others it might be useful, my way includes researching all my options carefully before trying any thing, making a good back up of the system before doing anything, and more, but I don't have the time to waste for some one that sees "my way" as not being usefull. My way works well for me, I can not afford to have to tell a client , "Oh sorry, I borked your laptop, and lost all the data", a law suite would be expensive, fortunately that has never happened, so for me "my way" is quite use full.

Used freedos and i got "this program must be run under win32"
Kenshin Himura

Postby shep » 2019-12-12 16:25

I do not own any Lenovo hardware but have recently updated the bios of 2 motherboards. There were several ways to update.
My asus bios offered an "instant flash". I essentially extracted the bios download and copied the update to a vfat formated, usb thumb drive. Rebooted the computer with the usb drive plugged in and started "instant flash". Instant flash found the drive/bios update and installed.

Another method relies on Bios settings to setup a dhcp ethernet connection. If connected to the internet, the bios update would download and install.

The third method appears to have been tried, download a freedos usb image and mount it loop back and copy the bios update and a dos install utility. One aspect you may want to research is that some manufacturers still have archived dos utilites to update firmware.

A fourth method, mentioned on Lenovo's site is a linux utility to install from a running linux install.

Lastly, Lenovo mentions the availability of an pre-formated image that contains the bios update - essentially Lenovo has performed the 3rd method above for you.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-61990
shep

Postby pylkko » 2019-12-14 07:14

If this is the only available installer, then you probably need a windows install.
pylkko

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2019-12-14 19:47

pylkko wrote:

If this is the only available installer, then you probably need a windows install.

Ok Brother. Thanks for feedback
Kenshin Himura

Postby shep » 2019-12-14 23:53

Last edited by shep on 2019-12-15 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
shep

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2019-12-15 11:00

The first method can't be used at my problem cause lenovo doesn't offer an iso with the update only an exe.
The second method is what i thought i should try but I'm afraid if something happens with booting from USB the windows and it ends into ****** my laptop.
Thanks for answering
Kenshin Himura

Postby shep » 2019-12-15 19:28

You are on new ground with this.
I would be nice if Lenovo Support would provide some of the previously referenced bios update paths. I would consider contacting Lenovo support with that question and also raising it in their forums. Lenovo's linux support is not ideal but is better than some other manufactures.

Since the the BIOS update addresses cve-2019-6171, I would investigate what recovery options are available and do an internet search on using Live Windows to update Lenovo Bios for all their products.

I would download agcn25ww.exe and try to extract it with cabextract/inoextract. In windows, this would be a self extracting file that may contain the actual bios update and another *exe utility that will run in freedos.

See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade for details
Last edited by shep on 2020-01-28 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
shep

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2019-12-15 21:35

shep wrote:You are on new ground with this.
I would be nice if Lenovo Support would provide some of the previously referenced bios update paths. I would consider contacting Lenovo supports with that question and also raising it in their forums. Lenovo's linux support is not ideal but is better than some other manufactures.

Since the the BIOS update addresses cve-2019-6171, I would investigate what recovery options are available and do an internet search on using Live Windows to update Lenovo Bios for all their products.

I would download agcn25ww.exe and try to extract it with cabextract/inoextract. In windows, this would be a self extracting file that may contain the actual bios update and another *exe utility that will run in freedos.

See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade for details

I love you ❤️
Kenshin Himura

Postby dvk » 2020-01-03 10:27

no way
dvk

Postby esp7 » 2020-01-05 01:45

Kenshin Himura wrote:The lenovo gives nothing but an exe at their site to update the bios, so... Your way i think can't be useful.

sorry, this is incorrect, lenovo provides for their machines bios updates in the form of iso bios images. hereby example for one of my machines:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/be/en/prod ... s/DS018807

the exe binary you are refering to is lenovo's bios update utility for windows but does not include the actual bios image. with the iso bios image it is a 5min job to update your machine and it will be more safe than the windows update utility:

install geteltorito
$ sudo apt-get install genisoimage

extract bios update
$ geteltorito -o bios_update.img lenovobios.iso

put bios image on an USB key
$ sudo dd if=bios_update.img of=/dev/sdx with x whatever it is on your machine

reboot from usb key and update the bios
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
esp7

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2020-01-20 07:41

[quote="esp7"][quote="Kenshin Himura"]

For my pc there is no iso file, only an exe, read the topic before you reply.
Kenshin Himura

Postby pylkko » 2020-01-20 12:21

Are you sure the exe file is not a self-extracting archive with the .iso image inside?

What make and model is your laptop? I tried to find the answer in this thread, but somehow not finding it.
pylkko

Postby esp7 » 2020-01-25 18:02

pylkko wrote:Are you sure the exe file is not a self-extracting archive with the .iso image inside?

What make and model is your laptop? I tried to find the answer in this thread, but somehow not finding it.

exactly, if we know the model of his machine we could really help
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
esp7

Postby shep » 2020-01-25 18:24

The threads originator expressed frustration that his posts were not being read. I agree.
@Kenshin Himura second post in this thread:
Thank you all for helping. The laptop is the c340 14api with ryzen 3200u
shep

Postby esp7 » 2020-01-26 19:40

shep wrote:The threads originator expressed frustration that his posts were not being read. I agree.
@Kenshin Himura second post in this thread:
Thank you all for helping. The laptop is the c340 14api with ryzen 3200u

It would have helped to clarify this important information in the 1st post which everyone starts reading when diving into a topic :wink: Everyone was guessing and sharing info. The whole confusion is coming from posting a support question with almost no info. So he should use innoextract to extract the windows self-extracting archive, but the latest version of innoextract which is not available in Debian stable and follow below detailed guide on how to flash Ideapad bios within linux:
https://medium.com/@BladeCoder/flash-yo ... 2e455ea29c

you're welcome
esp7

Previous

Return to General Questions