Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is UKUU safe on Debian Buster 10.2 ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Jessica Sinclair

Is UKUU safe on Debian Buster 10.2 ?

#1 Post by Jessica Sinclair »

I have installed UKUU in order to upgrade my kernel the easy way ... is UKUU safe to use on Debian?

cuckooflew

Re: Is UKUU safe on Debian Buster 10.2 ?

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

First, let's look at What is UKUU ?
From one result when I look at the search results:
Ukuu is a client for downloading and installing Linux kernels from kernel.ubuntu.com. It provides a simple and convenient way to install the latest Linux kernels as soon as they are released.

It can be used on any Ubuntu-based distribution such as Linux Mint, Elementary OS, etc.
No, I don't think it is safe, seems odd that you ask this after installing it, should do some research first:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
And the wiki says:
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from bullseye on a buster system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently bullseye)

Debian unstable release (also known as sid)

Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs
I see you also think that the more threads you post the better, and that is not all ways the case:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 92#p712006
I download UKUU and upgraded the kernel with that as well and still Debian wont start.

Could someone show me to the commands to upgrade my kernel
So you now know it is not safe, and essentially that is double/cross posting.
Could someone show me to the commands to upgrade my kernel on Debian

Gee, whiz, a little search foo, and I see this, probably a good starting point:https://wiki.debian.org/HowToUpgradeKernel
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

Re: Is UKUU safe on Debian Buster 10.2 ?

#3 Post by stevepusser »

I would not call something unsafe without any actual data one way or another, myself.

Some MX Linux users have reported that Ukuu works on Debian,as long as the user keeps the potential DKMS driver pitfalls in mind. Newer kernels also often require newer or patched DKMS drivers, as well as firmware packages. Also, if you try to build the Nvidia driver on a kernel built with Ubuntu's default gcc-9.2.1 with Busters gcc-8, the build will error out unless you pass some command to ignore the mismatch. I don't know what the command is, preferring to backport Debian upstream kernels instead, so that problem never arises.

If you have a machine that gets by on drivers that are included in-kernel, you can ignore all that DKMS stuff.
MX Linux packager and developer