Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"files are same" error on cifs share

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
krita

"files are same" error on cifs share

#1 Post by krita »

Hi,
I have an issue never experienced before. I have two PCs; PytteDatan (Debian Stretch, I think) and Lilldatan (Debian Buster). On Lilldatan I have mounted a drive like this in /etc/fstab;

Code: Select all

//PytteDatan.local/markus    /mnt/markus   cifs   credentials=/home/markus/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000    0    0
Accessing the mount folder /mnt/markus/Dokument/octave/pg_winch2 there is a file named "PITWVK~3.M". Issue is that on the remote PC PytteDatan the file is actually/correctly named "prn.m" not "PITWVK~3.M" :shock: .
If I do

Code: Select all

markus@Lilldatan:/mnt/markus/Dokument/octave/pg_winch2$ ls -li
totalt 2048
8390077 -rwxr-xr-x 1 markus root 808 dec 28 11:43 drum.m
8390242 -rwxr-xr-x 1 markus root 180 dec 28 11:49 PITWVK~3.M
markus@Lilldatan:/mnt/markus/Dokument/octave/pg_winch2$ mv PITWVK~3.M prn.m
mv: 'PITWVK~3.M' och 'prn.m' är samma fil
...I get (freely translated) "mv: 'PITWVK~3.M' and 'prn.m' are same file".

I can rename the file to something else, like prn2.m, but the name prn.m just won't work.

The closes match to a similar issue was found below, but does not solve my problem.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/835356/ ... -same-file

I have absolutely no clue about what is going on here... Your ideas would be very appreciated! Anyone?

Thanks
Markus