A MAJOR bug in Debian

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

A MAJOR bug in Debian

Postby zuspajupso » 2020-01-27 03:46

Hello guys.
There is a bug in Debian that leads you to losing all your disk data in case you use LUKS encryption.
If you have a encrypted disk with LUKS and you run a software that write data to you or you download a big file or you are copying a file from other disk to encrypted disk and space run out - You can get:
a) Notification: space ran out and file get autodeleted
b) Your OS freeze/stuck
In both cases after reboot you will type the correct password to unlock disk, but you will get error: no keyfile with this password.
Maybe it's a bug to all linux systems, I'm not sure.
Is there any way to unlock your disk and save your data ?
zuspajupso

Re: A MAJOR bug in Debian

Postby Chrisdb » 2020-01-27 08:21

zuspajupso wrote:Hello guys.
There is a bug in Debian that leads you to losing all your disk data in case you use LUKS encryption.
If you have a encrypted disk with LUKS and you run a software that write data to you or you download a big file or you are copying a file from other disk to encrypted disk and space run out - You can get:
b) Your OS freeze/stuck
In both cases after reboot you will type the correct password to unlock disk, but you will get error: no keyfile with this password.

Hello,

Some questions:
- did you perform a clean reboot in both situations?
- what did you do after you got situation 'a' and 'b'? Did you umount the drive(s) correctly?
- in some cases it could be your keyboard layout is misconfigured, did you try entering the password with us layout?
- did you check caps lock
Chrisdb

Postby zuspajupso » 2020-01-27 16:02

Chrisdb wrote:
zuspajupso wrote:Hello guys.
b) Your OS freeze/stuck

Hello,

Some questions:
- did you perform a clean reboot in both situations?
- what did you do after you got situation 'a' and 'b'? Did you umount the drive(s) correctly?
- in some cases it could be your keyboard layout is misconfigured, did you try entering the password with us layout?
- did you check caps lock

- What means clean reboot ? But I think I perform a clean reboot because I tried it a lot of times. I tried to decrypt from live cd didn't work
- Situation 'a' - Debian said space ran out and file get autodeleted then I reboot as normal using Graphical Interface. Situation 'b' - My OS stuck and I reboot using PC button. This are 2 different OS
- I booted in recovery mode initramfs and tried type text and see it's English and caplocks it's not on. Then tried to mount disk to luks and try to decrypt and I got same error
zuspajupso

Postby Chrisdb » 2020-01-27 18:37

If you turned off your pc by holding down the powerbutton, it could be that the LUKS header got corrupted.

Do you have a LUKS Header backup? If not, I'm afraid there's not much you can do...

You can also have a look here for troubleshooting
Https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#4-troubleshooting
Chrisdb

Return to General Questions