Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Did Debian forget to update cargo in Stretch?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
stevepusser

[Solved] Did Debian forget to update cargo in Stretch?

#1 Post by stevepusser »

Jessie has the same version now as Buster, but Stretch...no. The same applies to rustc and cbindgen.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

This means that the current Stretch Thunderbird 68.4.1 has build-depends that can not be met in Stretch, which breaks Debian policy. Can any Stretch users file a bug report against this?
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-02-03 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Bulkley

Re: Did Debian forget to update cargo/rustc/cbindgen in Stre

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Sorry, Steve, I can't help you even though I run Stretch and use Thunderbird. Mine is an appimage, not the Debian version. All I can tell you is that mine is version 68.4.2 (64-bit). I'm wondering if Debian has an update coming for Thunderbird.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

68.4.2 is in Sid as of a few days ago. It's a straightforward backport in Buster, requires many changes to build in Jessie (but I managed :) ), and is currently impossible to build in Stretch because of the missing build-depends.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

OK, I found that the Stretch "~deb9u2" cargo debs are indeed in the repository, just not visible to users:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cargo/

along with the other packages needed to build Thunderbird 68.4.2 on that release. We can just download them manually and stick in our local repo that pbuilder or sbuild can draw from. They don't result in any extra runtime dependencies for the finished packages.

stevepusser

Re: [Solved] Did Debian forget to update cargo in Stretch?

#5 Post by stevepusser »

And Tim at MX discovered and kindly let me know that they are visible to apt if you add the proposed-update update section. The sbuild package builder setup does that by default, but not pbuilder or the standard user's install.

Code: Select all

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-proposed-updates main