- High Temperatures While Streaming 1080p 60fps -

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: - High Temperatures While Streaming 1080p 60fps -

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-02-02 20:15

Kenshin Himura wrote:all these scattered guides should be merge into one step by step for those who want to install the stable version of Debian but with the newest kernel and hardware

Yeah, it's on my To Do List but don't hold your breath...

Kenshin Himura wrote:I'm noon

Debian isn't for n00bs, perhaps try one of the user-friendly derivatives for a while until you get the hang of things.

And just in case it isn't clear: I couldn't give a crap which operating system you use :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2020-02-02 21:09

And just in case it isn't clear: I couldn't give a crap which operating system you use :mrgreen:[/quote]

I didn't ask your opinion... How old are you? Like 7 or something, Jesus Christ...
Kenshin Himura

Postby sunrat » 2020-02-02 22:40

Kenshin Himura wrote:
And just in case it isn't clear: I couldn't give a crap which operating system you use :mrgreen:

I didn't ask your opinion... How old are you? Like 7 or something, Jesus Christ...

I'm sure he is neither 7 nor Jesus Christ. :mrgreen: He is legendary in providing reality checks for those who attempt to exceed their knowledge or abilities. It's great to be brave and adventurous but running testing when you have no experience with stable is bound to go badly. Seriously, install Stable Buster, add Backports and install the most recent kernel from there. You may also need some graphics components, firmware, and/or microcode.

Here is your guide to running Stable with newer software - https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby stevepusser » 2020-02-02 23:38

Maybe you could try a Live session of this respin I did of MX Linux with a 5.3 kernel and the Mesa that was in testing at the time? I do have va-api working on my Coffee Lake Intel laptop with the same packages, but the respin doesn't have the va-api packages needed for AMD, and I don't have the AMD hardware to test.

https://archive.org/details/mx19x64updated

The MX repo also has various versions of up to 5.4 kernels, and I'm going to backport the Liquorix 5.5 kernel today to see what DKMS drivers it ends up breaking... :?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.7, QMPlay2 20.07.04, Pale Moon 28.10.0, KeepassXC 2.6.0, Krita 4.3.0, Foliate 2.4.2
stevepusser

Postby Bulkley » 2020-02-02 23:43

Kenshin Himura, you might be happier with another distro. My suggestion is MX Linux which is based on Debian but already tuned. When trying distros download and burn live-DCs or USBs which you can run and try without commitment.

There is a learning curve with every computer system. Some are easier than others.
Bulkley

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2020-06-23 15:48

im commenting again on this trying to find any app like streamlink for twitch but for youtube. It seems firefox and any other browser using huge resources from cpu in order to produce 1080p 60 fps, but when i do the same with streamlink the usage is maximum 25%. Do you know any app that could do the job? Thanks in advance.
Kenshin Himura

Postby stevepusser » 2020-06-24 03:12

As mentioned before, Chromium is the only browser on Debian that can stream video with hardware acceleration, and even that needs a custom configuration. SMTube can browse Youtube and pass streams to VLC, so that's probably your best bet. Be aware that YT changes their API frequently to prevent this kind of thing, and Debian lags behind in SMTube updates: https://repology.org/project/smtube/versions

Yrs truly does the MX Linux updates. You can get current Debian packages from the SMTube developer, who maintains an OBS repository, or from my repository on the OBS: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ert/smtube

At one time there were Firefox extensions that would "play in VLC", but I leave it up to you to see if they still work.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.7, QMPlay2 20.07.04, Pale Moon 28.10.0, KeepassXC 2.6.0, Krita 4.3.0, Foliate 2.4.2
stevepusser

Postby Kenshin Himura » 2020-06-24 09:37

[quote="stevepusser"] do you have any discord server pr so for communication?
Kenshin Himura

Postby stevepusser » 2020-06-24 18:20

No, circumstances dictate that I'm offline most of the time, and even then, I'm using most of my free time for packaging--interruptions would be quite annoying.

Do you need step by step instructions for downloading and installing the Bullseye version of my SMTube? Here's the OBS repo where the amd64 version lives: https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... ing/amd64/

Oh, yes, qmplay2 there also supports hardware-accelerated video playback, and has a builtin Youtube browser, streamer, and downloader. It uses youtube-dl, but not the system version. Instead it downloads and updates as necessary its own youtube-dl. I use QMPlay2 as my default video player for local video files, in fact.

Edit: You should also be able to open most Youtube URLs directly in VLC as a network stream, at least until Youtube breaks it again. I'm not sure how va-api works for a Ryzen, but with my two Intel laptops, streaming a compatible codec means that the CPU stays at its lowest speed and the CPU use barely moves, even for 4K video.

Debian does not install the necessary packages for va-api by default. For AMD, install vainfo and mesa-va-drivers, then run "vainfo" in the terminal to see if it's working and the supported video codecs.
stevepusser

Previous

Return to General Questions