Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WiFi won't connect - LxQt Connman

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Andrew Lohmann

WiFi won't connect - LxQt Connman

#1 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Computer; Compaq nx6125, 64 bit. Debian 10.2 LxQt. Wireless and other drivers installed from Debian non-free repositories.
Wireless; set to WPA2 works fine with other operating systems XP, Debian 7, 8 or 9 XFCE, 32 and 64 bit.

My wireless is listed which I try to connect to but WPS security is available but not WPA. I tried my password unsuccessfully in the pin entry box. Please can you suggest a solution?

For example if I try connecting to someone else's WiFi that is not secured the connection seems to be made. Is there something else I need to add or should I change Connman for another?
Last edited by Andrew Lohmann on 2020-02-21 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: WiFi won't connect - LxQt Connman

#2 Post by arochester »

should I change Connman for another?
I use LXQt. Currently, Wicd works for me.

Andrew Lohmann

#3 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Do you have a WPA/WPA2 secured connection? If so how did you enter the password? I can't find anything helpful on the GUI on the web or within Connman.

arochester wrote:
should I change Connman for another?
I use LXQt. Currently, Wicd works for me.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#W ... d_WPA2-PSK

^ The testing method listed before the /etc/network/interfaces configuration might throw up some error messages to work from. But disable wicd & connman beforehand.

And please don't full quote unnecessarily. If you feel the need to quote then do it selectively and use top-quoting to aid readability. Thanks.
deadbang

Chrisdb

#5 Post by Chrisdb »

There's also a part describing connman configuration (might be a little bit easier tot test...):
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#connman

Andrew Lohmann

#6 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Thanks for your various help. I am now connected but it was hard work - the help is frightening which is why I posted the question.

The WiFi Connections hopping about, and also I needed a number of attempts at entering PASSPHASE. I now have both the 32 bit and the 64-bit versions of LxQt installed and the 32-bit version of Connman works more easily, that is the WiFi found does not hop about so much and the connection selected stays selected long enough to press connect.

Still, previously I never got Wicd to work on LXDE (Debian 8) on this computer either but it does work on another computer.

Once again thank you.
Last edited by Andrew Lohmann on 2020-02-21 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

Do what all the cool and awesome people (me) do and go with networkd + wpa_supplicant. For real does work great and feather light in terms of system overhead. Would try something else though, wicd-gtk has always worked well in my experience. Used to be a big ceni fan but seems it's days are numbered so went on the hunt and ended up with networkd-etc. Can be a bit of inconvenience in terms of roaming, not that much really or can hit the easy button, I set up a small clone of my Buster os that has wicd-gtk on it (all of a 10gb partition) for times when laptop is mobile and want easier scan/connect. Though for home wifi and Ethernet interface management networkd works like a charm.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Chrisdb

#8 Post by Chrisdb »

Or if you just want things to work with the least amount of effort, just install:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/nm-tray

Best to remove other solutions in this case...