Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Successful Install BUT

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Successful Install BUT

#16 Post by Hallvor »

sunrat wrote:To see if a directory eg. /usr/sbin/ is in your path, do

Code: Select all

echo ${PATH}
You might be experiencing this - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142973

Ctrl-Alt-T brings up a terminal in Buster with KDE Plasma here, as normal user. Maybe it's a weird Cinnamon thing, i never used it.
Kopete was using Ctrl + Alt + T here, but it only took a few seconds to alter it.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

MagicPoulp

#17 Post by MagicPoulp »

send2gl. I helped you above you said thanks.

Welcome to debian. It isreally worth it to learn debian when you come from Ubuntu.

deb-fan knows and can help, but he is very sarcastic if you sue hte word windows.

Head on a stick help 10 people per day with stuck issues. But here people prefer to have one post per question, not many. that is why.

Chosing a good desktop env is important. IF youy pick xfce, you have something more raw. KDE and Gnome are the biggest but they have too much wird layers and crazy sounds.

Turtletronic

#18 Post by Turtletronic »

MagicPoulp wrote: Head on a stick help 10 people per day with stuck issues.
I do not care if he helps 10 or 100, his condescending tone and constant pointing at the rules does not allow him to tell people to "eff off", as he just did again.
He should get a dose of "watch your tone or get blocked for a week" like other fora offer to people like him.
OP did nothing to offend him, still he dishes out insults. Is that the "spirit" of Debian? Looking at recent forum posts here, you surely promote that.

Deb-fan

#19 Post by Deb-fan »

Think Head_on is a good guy, clearly intelligent, very knowledgeable nixer/techie. Any way it goes it's bad to flame others, w/o good reason. Still makes it worse when a mod does so. Obvious violation of forum rules and hypocrisy always leaves a bad taste in people's mouth. Participation is voluntary, we each get to decide which and what interests us enough to post to. Don't like someone's post, don't respond eh. Negativity spreads, has wider reaching impact then somebody may consider. Even when having a bad day or hard times make a coscious effort to treat people how I wish to be treated. The Golden rule.

Gnu/Linux addiction is a real thing, I know because I am one and nix forum addiction is too. Have firsthand experience with it. Had to quit cold turkey, continue doing so majority of the time. It can have a serious negative impact on someone's life taken too far. Also had to realise it was actually distracting me from the area of interest, gnu/nix and tech. All that time spent dorking in forums is/was time not being spent learning about gnu/Linux n tech. Another biggy reason for posting here, couldn't resist the urge to say someborgy, get it, someborgy instead of body? Been teasing Head_on for years that I think he's a cyborg. Probably would've never gotten another chance to use that joke again! :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Turtletronic wrote:He should get a dose of "watch your tone or get blocked for a week" like other fora offer to people like him.
Please don't refer to me using a male pronoun, I prefer "they". And the plural of forum is forums.

These boards favour freedom of expression rather than heavy-handed moderation and I for one really appreciate that stance. Rather than bitch and whine like a delicate little snowflake why not fire some insults back instead? I won't mind, I find such things amusing rather than offensive although such behaviour will lead to the thread being locked. Not that this particular thread contains anything of value anyway.

Just for the record: I do not represent Debian and I am not a moderator. My purple user name indicates that I am a "spam hunter", which is just a lowly menial task.
deadbang

Deb-fan

#21 Post by Deb-fan »

Gotta do it, come on dude, you've closed threads others were actively participating in or following with interest which were in no way in violation of forum rules just cause you felt like it. Almost like an I'm depressed/bitter, you folks shouldn't be engaged in and enjoying banter in the forum either. You've deleted posts and threads for same. You are a mod here and gotta say I'm super impressed with such mighty techno powers, wow a nix forum mod, can I have an autograph? :P Tearing into some harmless poster, in violation of forum rules cause your "mental health is bad". It's ridiculous how you're trying to play both sides here. No matter what it's harmful to the forum, also fairly lame and pathetic too, shrugs.

Don't want to waste overmuch time or energy flinging insults at some person I don't know in London, England. You aren't dragging me down to that low level. Letting some clearly very unhappy or mentally distressed person push my buttons in such a fashion would simply be tarded and sad. :P

Ps, Been using Debian proper overwhelming majority of time spent using gnu/nix, so when do feel urge to go on a forum spree, seems the right place to come to. Also this forum is top when someone searches things like Debian Linux forum etc. So yeah ... you've got to be aware you are to some extent representing Debian gnu/Linux and not doing a great job of it either. Just saying is all. Keep it real homies. :)

Ps 2, Also not like I wish you harm or ill will, even empathize with where you're coming from. Gone through similar stages too. When you've seen the same basic thing asked, answered 1,000's of times and it's something xyz-user could've easily sorted with minimal effort. Yep, might react harshly, whereas folks who haven't spent the same amount of time are thinking dam, this guy's a real jerk. Ah either way, it's not that serious. Starts causing someone real negative effects, it can be.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

send2gl

#22 Post by send2gl »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
send2gl wrote:is this your way of welcoming new users to the group
Help vampires like you are not welcome here.

This is not the Ubuntu forums and this is not your personal help desk. These forums are not paid for by donations and are intended as a community resource so please conduct yourself accordingly and make more of an effort (which is to say any effort at all) or just **** off. Thanks.
send2gl wrote:If you don't want to answer just leave it
I did answer, and I showed you exactly what was wrong with your attempts to run ifconfig(8). You just couldn't be bothered expending the effort required to understand my post.
Not sure why people like you bother with forums, you spend so much time criticising people just in an attempt to increase your own importance. You lack any inter personal skills so your replies are irrelevant.

Geoff Lane

send2gl

#23 Post by send2gl »

Turtletronic wrote:
MagicPoulp wrote: Head on a stick help 10 people per day with stuck issues.
I do not care if he helps 10 or 100, his condescending tone and constant pointing at the rules does not allow him to tell people to "eff off", as he just did again.
He should get a dose of "watch your tone or get blocked for a week" like other fora offer to people like him.
OP did nothing to offend him, still he dishes out insults. Is that the "spirit" of Debian? Looking at recent forum posts here, you surely promote that.
Thank you, many people feel as though it elevates their importance to belittle others, you meet them in all walks of life.

Geoff

send2gl

#24 Post by send2gl »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Turtletronic wrote:He should get a dose of "watch your tone or get blocked for a week" like other fora offer to people like him.
Not that this particular thread contains anything of value anyway.
Head_on_a_Stick's contribution didn't contain anything of any value so he is correct there. Other's though have given good suggestions.

Geoff

send2gl

#25 Post by send2gl »

Deb-fan wrote:Gotta do it, come on dude, you've closed threads others were actively participating in or following with interest which were in no way in violation of forum rules just cause you felt like it.

Don't want to waste overmuch time or energy flinging insults at some person I don't know in London, England. You aren't dragging me down to that low level. Letting some clearly very unhappy or mentally distressed person push my buttons in such a fashion would simply be tarded and sad. :P

When you've seen the same basic thing asked, answered 1,000's of times and it's something xyz-user could've easily sorted with minimal effort. Yep, might react harshly, whereas folks who haven't spent the same amount of time are thinking dam, this guy's a real jerk. Ah either way, it's not that serious. Starts causing someone real negative effects, it can be.
Thanks for support, 'Head on a Stick' reflects badly on the forum but I've seen people like that in all walks of life, could you imagine them being a teacher? Fortunately I've found most people to be polite and helpful, as they should be otherwise forums will not survive. Always amazes me when someone answers 'have you googled it', I'd guess every answer is available somewhere on the internet and perhaps complicated boolean searches could negate the need for forums - that would not be a good thing.

Geoff

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Post by sunrat »

send2gl wrote:Head_on_a_Stick's contribution didn't contain anything of any value so he is correct there. Other's though have given good suggestions.
Sorry dude, but you are being a snowflake here. Head made a throwaway comment about you being a former buntu user and you took it as a cue to escalate to which he didn't take kindly and overreacted.
I can see why he was critical - your initial post gave precious little detail about your issue and what you already did to try to solve it. People who use Debian are expected to do a little research and self-help before asking on the forum.
Please everyone calm down and act maturely. This isn't the COD discord server.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by Hallvor »

Don't be such a snowflake. Just grow a pair.

Head_on_a_Stick is a very active [typical British cuck :wink: ] high quality poster. You mentioned teachers? What teacher wouldn't get pissed off if you demanded that the teacher would do your homework? Just make an effort, and if you can't figure it out, then ask for help.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Now well OT and locked.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...