Firefox removal?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Firefox removal?

Postby tpprynn » 2020-03-15 12:21

Can Firefox-esr be removed from Debian 10 without destroying the install because of the dependency situation? I don't use it and it seems to be just about the only thing being updated. If not, what would be the steps to alter upgrading so that Firefox and Libre Office, which has seemed to be the other larger upgrade, are left as they are. I use tethering and limited data so it'd be handy to streamline things a bit. (Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way.)
tpprynn

Re: Firefox removal?

Postby sunrat » 2020-03-15 12:34

Debian 10 only gets security updates. You don't want to skip those unless your system is never connected to any network.
If it's a laptop you can disable automatic upgrades by removing the unattended-upgrades package and manually doing them when you are connected somewhere with less limited data. Make sure to do it regularly though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Re: Firefox removal?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-15 15:10

tpprynn wrote:what would be the steps to alter upgrading so that Firefox and Libre Office

Code: Select all
# aptitude hold $package

Replace $package with the name of the package you wish to hold.

Really not recommended for Firefox though — security updates for that program are critical, which is why Debian make an exception for it and keep it updated even in the stable release.
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to General Questions