Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox removal?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
tpprynn

Firefox removal?

#1 Post by tpprynn »

Can Firefox-esr be removed from Debian 10 without destroying the install because of the dependency situation? I don't use it and it seems to be just about the only thing being updated. If not, what would be the steps to alter upgrading so that Firefox and Libre Office, which has seemed to be the other larger upgrade, are left as they are. I use tethering and limited data so it'd be handy to streamline things a bit. (Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way.)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Firefox removal?

#2 Post by sunrat »

Debian 10 only gets security updates. You don't want to skip those unless your system is never connected to any network.
If it's a laptop you can disable automatic upgrades by removing the unattended-upgrades package and manually doing them when you are connected somewhere with less limited data. Make sure to do it regularly though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tpprynn wrote:what would be the steps to alter upgrading so that Firefox and Libre Office

Code: Select all

# aptitude hold $package
Replace $package with the name of the package you wish to hold.

Really not recommended for Firefox though — security updates for that program are critical, which is why Debian make an exception for it and keep it updated even in the stable release.
deadbang

morse_the_horse

#4 Post by morse_the_horse »

I installed the "regular" firefox from mozilla and pointed everything to it. I then removed firefox-esr and it promptly auto re-installed my previously removed chromium. Removing chromium reinstalled firefox-esr. So I just gave up and left it on the system as it doesn't hurt anything and have continued to use mozilla "regular" firefox to keep it consistent with my other non-Debian system (2 Debian, 1 Win 7, 1 Ubuntu - okay, one linux mistake). Since the "regular" firefox lives in /opt/firefox, it does not interact with firefox-esr.

milomak

#5 Post by milomak »

what do you get for the following:
apt -s remove firefox-esr
apt -s remove libreoffice
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

morse_the_horse wrote:I then removed firefox-esr and it promptly auto re-installed my previously removed chromium. Removing chromium reinstalled firefox-esr.
Your graphical desktop metapackage has a dependency on Debian's browser virtual package which is satisfied by either firefox-esr or chromium so if you remove one the other is installed.

Use this:

Code: Select all

aptitude why firefox-esr
Then remove the metapackage causing the problem. See also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=104157
morse_the_horse wrote:I installed the "regular" firefox from mozilla
That will be updated *much* more often than the ESR version supplied by Debian.
deadbang