Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

easiest way to remote control a Linux desktop?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pcalvert

Re: easiest way to remote control a Linux desktop?

#16 Post by pcalvert »

dieselnutjob wrote: So I guess that on their computer I need openssh-server installed? Will it work if their ssh server is listening only on localhost?
Yes and yes.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

pylkko

#17 Post by pylkko »

dieselnutjob wrote:
Interestingly it does seem possible to stream your desktop (screen share) rather than using a webcam on youtube and one way to do it appears to be using open source debian package obs-studio.

I am having a play with that now.
You could also make a screenshot with peek for example and output it as a png/gif animation and email that to him.

Also, you can connect VNC over reverse ssh tunnel.

When you say he behind a NAT, you mean he is on mobile internet without a public IP?

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#18 Post by oswaldkelso »

I'd have a wee word with the folks in your church because it looks like Zoom is run by the devil :twisted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... nferencing
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

morse_the_horse

#19 Post by morse_the_horse »

Dai_trying wrote:You could install teamviewer on his machine that would allow you to remotely connect and set his system up to your/his liking. I use it for a couple of remote systems and it usually works without issue and is free (for non-commercial use)

Installing a deb file might be a little daunting for your friend but just a little command line work would do it...

First download the deb file from teamviewer

Code: Select all

wget https://download.teamviewer.com/download/linux/teamviewer_amd64.deb
Install it using apt

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ./teamviewer_amd64.deb
once installed there should be an option in the menu to launch teamviewer. You would need to have teamviewer installed on your machine too and then you would ask your friend for their id and password (displayed in the main teamviewer window) and everything should be good to go.

HTH
dieselnutjob,

I also agree with Dai_trying re using Teamviewer. It works on Linux and Windows (and I think Apple) and is easy to use. You not only see what they see on your screen, you can talk them through (voice through Teamviewer or on a separate call) doing things and you both see what is being done. So you can show him where to move the mouse and click on something then you can watch as you tell him to do it so he learns.

It's more than a one time issue. I had a computer-challenged friend and often had to "walk" him through or fix problems remotely. It didn't take him long to know to know how to bring up Teamviewer when I asked and he knew what numbers (ID and PW) to give me so I could get on his system. ID never changes so you can get it once and he only has to give you PW. Made it so much easier than driving over to his house since you can check things on your system before trying it on his and can even transfer files to him.