Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Setup 2nd router in Debia - some problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
PsySc0rpi0n

#1 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Hello.

As usual, ISP routers are very limited in terms of freedom and due to that reason I decided to purchase a 3rd party router to be able to have some more control over my home network.
I've been searching on the best way to do this, and at this point I chose to install OpenWRT on my new router (NetGear NightHawk X4S, R7800).

I still haven't disconnected my ISP router completely because I still haven't setup everything on my NetGear. And to be honest, unfortunately, my networking knowledge is very limited so I need some help with a few things.

For instance, I am connected to the internet via wireless (yet) using my ISP router and I connected my NetGear to my laptop with a LAN cable, I mean those ones with RJ45 plugs.
What happens is that I can access my Netgear web interface page and ssh and I can access the internet in my browser, but I can't access my ISP router web interface page.

Why this happens and what can I do to have access to my ISP router web config page? If I disconnect my NetGear RJ45 cable and wait a few minutes I get back the access to the ISP router web config page.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Setup 2nd router in Debia - some problems

#2 Post by CwF »

Use the WRT router to recieve (at 192.168.1.1) the hotspot from the providers (at 192.168.0.1).

PsySc0rpi0n

#3 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:Use the WRT router to recieve (at 192.168.1.1) the hotspot from the providers (at 192.168.0.1).
I would do that if I knew how to.

Anyways, I'm now with more problems.
I have been "playing around" with dhclient -r and dhclient -i eth0 and wlan0 and now I can't assign an IP to my eth0 whitout avahi come into play and still I can't access my new router!

Maybe it's time to reboot my laptop and see if a fresh start restores this crap! I've been around this almost all day. :s

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Why do you want to access your old router's web page? If you have a new router than can connect you to the interweb then why are you leaving the old one connected at all?
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

I do it like I said and can enter both control pages from a vm.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:why are you leaving the old one connected at all?
Because it's useful. Maybe there is location separation and it's simply convenient extension. Maybe you'd like to put a dozen computers on the net with the providers router showing one user. The WRT router then provides eth ports that just work without any wifi or OS configuration complications.

Security is enhanced, The Providers router can the be non-broadcast and locked to a single MAC, the WRT's. The WRT can be simple or complex, providing only wired ports, or expanding into a large area wifi mesh. All things no providers router can do, or is allowed to do on its own.

PsySc0rpi0n

#6 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Why do you want to access your old router's web page? If you have a new router than can connect you to the interweb then why are you leaving the old one connected at all?
The old router is my ISP router and has the functionality of voIP but I already decided to live without it. So, that's not a question anymore. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PsySc0rpi0n

#7 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote:I do it like I said and can enter both control pages from a vm.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:why are you leaving the old one connected at all?
Because it's useful. Maybe there is location separation and it's simply convenient extension. Maybe you'd like to put a dozen computers on the net with the providers router showing one user. The WRT router then provides eth ports that just work without any wifi or OS configuration complications.

Security is enhanced, The Providers router can the be non-broadcast and locked to a single MAC, the WRT's. The WRT can be simple or complex, providing only wired ports, or expanding into a large area wifi mesh. All things no providers router can do, or is allowed to do on its own.
Well, I don't need such complex stuff. It was more about telephony. I had a phone connected to the router but I was not using it anymore. So, I just removed the ISP router completely.
I already managed to connect everything up. It's now fully working.
From now on is just a meter of playing with OpenWrt settings.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk