Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issues with going from amd to Nvdia

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Hubert797

Issues with going from amd to Nvdia

#1 Post by Hubert797 »

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, have been using Debian for a few years. I was previously using an amd rx580 gpu, however need Nvidia for the time being so I'm currently trying to get my gtx 1070 working. This is what I did, starting from a working amd setup:

Code: Select all

apt install linux-headers-5.5.0-1-amd64

apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms

apt install nvidia-driver

apt autoremove libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati

poweroff
Here I replaced the rx580 with the 1070 and attempted to boot. I got a command line, so installed kde and rebooted again. This time, I got in, but the resolution was very low, and kde wouldn't let me change it. So, I installed the nvidia drive again:

It installed a variety of new things, after rebooting, I got a black screen and after a few seconts a cursor. Switching to tty with ctrl alt F2 worked fine, and after installing xinit I can now get in with startx. However, I'm pretty sure the system is using the integrated graphics of the motherboard, not the nvidia card. Glx gears does not work.

glxinfo | grep renderer
outputs:

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext

Major opcode of failed request: 151 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request: 6 (X_GLXIsDirect)

Serial number of failed request: 54

Current serial number in output stream: 53
And at this point I am stuck. Anyone know how to fix this? Starting with nomodeset does not help, and secure boot is disabled.

Thanks, Hubert.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Issues with going from amd to Nvdia

#2 Post by sunrat »

Hubert797 wrote:However, I'm pretty sure the system is using the integrated graphics of the motherboard, not the nvidia card.
Surely the motherboard graphics has a different output socket from the Nvidia card. Which one is your monitor plugged into? Does your UEFI setup menu have an option to disable the mobo graphics? That's what I had to do on my desktop PC.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Hubert797

#3 Post by Hubert797 »

sunrat wrote:
Hubert797 wrote:However, I'm pretty sure the system is using the integrated graphics of the motherboard, not the nvidia card.
Surely the motherboard graphics has a different output socket from the Nvidia card. Which one is your monitor plugged into? Does your UEFI setup menu have an option to disable the mobo graphics? That's what I had to do on my desktop PC.
I looked into this and it appears as if my motherboard doesn't actually have integrated graphics, (the hdmi port is there only if the cpu does I guess, which mine does not), so that's my mistake. It must be running on the Nvidia card then, which makes this even more confusing.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Please install inxi and post here the output from

inxi -SCG
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

You failed to note if you installed the compilers to build the drivers, as noted in the Debian wiki. Plus gave no output from the install commands, which would have shown if you did. I suggest "get thee to the wiki", follow the directions, especially for running nvidia-detect first, and then get back to us if the problems persist.
MX Linux packager and developer

Hubert797

#6 Post by Hubert797 »

sunrat wrote:Please install inxi and post here the output from

inxi -SCG
Output is:

System:    Host: boeing Kernel: 5.5.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid 
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           Speed: 3153 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3153 2: 3142 3: 3156 4: 3163 5: 3146 6: 3140 7: 3136 8: 3138 
           9: 3172 10: 3235 11: 3168 12: 3191 13: 3184 14: 3582 15: 3139 16: 3147 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] driver: nvidia v: 440.82 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 3440x1440~75Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A 
Definitely seems bad that it says N/A for opengl.
stevepusser wrote:You failed to note if you installed the compilers to build the drivers, as noted in the Debian wiki. Plus gave no output from the install commands, which would have shown if you did. I suggest "get thee to the wiki", follow the directions, especially for running nvidia-detect first, and then get back to us if the problems persist.
I'm pretty sure I followed the Debian wiki exactly, but I can always restart the process and make sure, along with noting all the outputs. However, I have not found a way to run nvidia-detect as the first step, as I can't even get into tty with the nvidia card installed without first installing nvidia-driver. Obviously running it with the amd card in the system won't be very useful.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

The inxi output shows that the driver built successfully, but as noted, no openGL acceleration at all.

There are Nvidia GL files that should have installed automatically and it "just works", so I am stumped. Maybe the mixture of testing and Sid has broken something. I backported the 440.82 driver the other day for my MX Linux Optimus laptop, and it works fine:

$ optirun inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 440.82 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.82 
MX Linux packager and developer

Hubert797

#8 Post by Hubert797 »

Might be a reinstall coming my way... I shouldn't have a mix of Sid and testing though (at least I hope not), I'm on Sid and don't recall ever using any testing software. Not sure why it shows bullseye/sid, but it's shown that right from the start.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

Hubert797 wrote:Hello all, I'm new to this forum, have been using Debian for a few years. I was previously using an amd rx580 gpu, however need Nvidia for the time being so I'm currently trying to get my gtx 1070 working. This is what I did, starting from a working amd setup:

apt install linux-headers-5.5.0-1-amd64

apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms

apt autoremove libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati

poweroff
Here I replaced the rx580 with the 1070 and attempted to boot. I got a command line, so installed kde and rebooted again.
Not sure why you installed nvidia-kernel-dkms separately when it's a dependency of nvidia-driver anyway. Also not sure why you reinstalled KDE when presumably it was working with your AMD card. I doubt these would have caused your problem though.
I just checked my Buster/Nvidia system using nvidia driver and libgl1-mesa-dri is installed and not flagged by apt autoremove. Maybe reinstall that. It's a long shot but nothing else comes to mind.
Not sure why it shows bullseye/sid, but it's shown that right from the start.
A pure Sid system shows that, no problem there.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

pendrachken

#10 Post by pendrachken »

Make sure secure boot is off in your UEFI, the nvidia module won't load due to a key being out of date, at least that was the problem I had a month or two ago. Supported by the fact that inxi is reporting the nvidia module unloaded, not missing or using the open source module.

Everything built fine, but the kernel couldn't load the nvidia module, leading to a lot of bad graphical issues. Disabling secureboot and the subsequent boots were all flawless. You can check in dmesg after booting, just grep -i for nvidia. If there is a message about not being trusted and keys missing / out of date you know that is the issue.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

pendrachken wrote: Supported by the fact that inxi is reporting the nvidia module unloaded, not missing or using the open source module.
OP's inxi shows nvidia module is loaded, but no OpenGL.

Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] driver: nvidia v: 440.82
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 3440x1440~75Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A 
Just had another thought - GP104 cards need non-free firmware. Install the package firmware-misc-nonfree and reboot.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!