MTA taking too long at boot

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Postby Harold » 2005-08-26 00:19

Durandal> One option for removing GDM was to use "aptitude remove gdm" but you suggest "apt-get remove --purge gdm." Is there any difference between these two operations in terms of removing a program?

The remove switch means delete all package files excluding configuration files. The --purge switch means delete configuration files also. Aptitude and apt are both front ends for dpkg, which is the application that actually installs and uninstalls .deb packages.
Harold

Postby Jeroen » 2005-08-26 00:27

Durandal wrote:
Jeroen wrote:If it boots slowly, there must be some misconfiguration somewhere (DNS or otherwise), try launching exim -bd -d as root (after having stopped your normal daemon) and see what part of the startup takes so long. If you run exim4, you can also add the -d option as in
Code: Select all
SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS='=d'
to /etc/default/exim4, and reboot your computer.

Ok. I believe I was using exim4, so I did the above editing and recieved this as the error message after the long "Starting MTA: " load:

"Starting MTA: exim: incompatible command-line options or arguments."

Argh, I mean -d of course, not =d. Command line options in linux are nearly always preceded by one or two dashes (-).

Again, all I can recall from installation concerning setting up the MTA was that I chose the Local system setup option because I had not setup the network earlier in the install.

Try dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config ? Anyway, you can set your configuration by editing files in /etc/exim4. Because I myself want full control, I copy the generated config file (found in /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated) to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf, if that file exists, it will take precedence and the package will never override or edit that file.
Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Questions