(DONE) VirtualBox error when attempting to start VM

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

(DONE) VirtualBox error when attempting to start VM

Postby Mr. Lumbergh » 2020-06-09 19:54

I've installed VirtualBox 6.1 from the repos and run through the installation instructions detailed on the guest distro's page here https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/virtualization/virtualbox/index.en.html, however when I try to start the new VM I get the following error:
Code: Select all
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Tails.

The virtual machine 'Tails' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

I had VB6.0 installed, and uninstalled it because of an error that showed up during the installation process saying that some component was missing. I saw in Synaptic that a newer version was available and the first install didn't give me time to note the particular error before moving on with the install, so I installed 6.1; it did not give me any similar errors during the install regarding missing components but did give the same error when attempting to start the VM.
For those that have gotten this to run successfully, what steps did you take to get it running?

Thanks.
Last edited by Mr. Lumbergh on 2020-06-10 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Lumbergh

Re: VirtualBox error when attempting to start VM

Postby sickpig » 2020-06-10 00:19

VirtualBox is not in Buster repos.
You can install a .deb directly from Virtualbox's website though if you do not want to use anything else for your virtualization needs.
You would need to remove whatever you have installed first before proceeding.
sickpig

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-06-10 01:59

Actually, we do not know if the OP is using Debian Buster,
Mr. Lumbergh »I had VB6.0 installed, and uninstalled it because of an error that showed up during the installation process saying that some component was missing. I saw in Synaptic that a newer version was available and the first install didn't give me time to note the particular error before moving on with the install, so

There are various distros that use synaptic package manager, and the logic makes me wonder, if VirtualBox is not available for Debian Buster, Why and how would it be in the synaptic package manager options ?
Maybe, a another repo was added ,/etc/apt/sources.list?
Maybe the OP is not even using Debian ?
Maybe they are using a older version of Debian ?
I think by now the OP should realize that they need to give better details first, EG: what version of Debian (if it is Debian) ?
Mr. Lumbergh » I've installed VirtualBox 6.1 from the repos
What repos ? EG:Ubuntu,Linux Mint, Fedora, Arch, Debian, etc,...
I gave up on VirtualBox several years ago, and since it is not in Debian repositories, I use QEMU instead, but yes, as mentioned:
by sickpig »You can install a .deb directly from Virtualbox's website though if you do not want to use anything else for your virtualization needs.

If the OP is using Debian, maybe the best place to start: https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox
Debian 10 "Buster"

Packages for VirtualBox are not available in Debian 10 and won't be in buster-backports either. A recommended alternative is Virtual Machine Manager (buster/virt-manager). ----snip---

There are more details , but you need to read the page the link goes to.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Google knows a lot,
God, our Father knows all, maybe ask Him ,
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.

I am not the right colour, so my life does not matter ?
to God it does :)
cuckooflew

Postby Mr. Lumbergh » 2020-06-10 15:20

I have repos added from KXStudio for music production apps, perhaps it's pulling from there.
I'll go ahead and close this out since there isn't any official Debian support.
Mr. Lumbergh

Return to General Questions