"Authentication ie required to refresh system repositories"

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

"Authentication ie required to refresh system repositories"

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-06-12 08:47

I am new to Debian Buster and have set up a system with several users. There is only one user with sudo privileges and all the other ones have standard privileges. More often than not when one of the standard users logs in a password prompt will appear saying "Authentication ie required to refresh system repositories" with my user name (sudo). When I type in my password authentication fails. Sometimes it is possible to come out of the prompt by repeatedly clicking "cancel" but many times this is not possible and will effectively lock out the user.

It seems a reasonably common problem and there is an easy fix for KDE users by turning off the display of system updates but I have not found such a setting for Gnome (which I use). Many results in my search relate to Ubuntu (which I know isn't proper Debian) so I don't know whether they apply or whether I should be careful (and ignore them).

Here is one such example - would that be a safe method for Debian?
FOSS-15-Great

Re: "Authentication ie required to refresh system repositori

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-06-12 08:51

No.

Check the options in either gnome-software or the "Package Updater" (I can't remember which it is) and disable the updates from there. Use the unattended-upgrades package to automatically update the system without needing GUI authentication.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-06-13 15:24

Thank you, Head_on_a_Stick - I have followed the guide in the Debian Wiki for unattended-upgrades. When running the debug command it appears that everything is configured correctly. Could you please confirm that I should now set the "Automatically check for updates" preference in Software & Updates to "Never"?
FOSS-15-Great

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-06-14 16:30

Sounds fine to me but it's probably best to check the update status once in a while, you don't want to miss stuff from the Security Team.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to General Questions