Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 falls asleep while coping files to it (network).

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
millusions

Re: Debian 10 falls asleep while coping files to it (network

#21 Post by millusions »

bit tipsy now.

but that's my point, you can knock a GT730 but linux happily does 4k via HDMI with a GT710 or GT730,
the fact that you have 3 150Watt GPUs with very little to actually explain why.

ive been there myself, every machine had to have a K version of i7 and 32GB of RAM.
i'ts pointless.

don't think i havent researched this,
R9 270x adds 25Watts at idle, which is absolutely fine but you have to consider the reason, because at the end of the day it adds no value for that 25watts - absolutely zero.

so when you say stick a GPU stronger than a GT730 and 7 SSDs i just ask, but why? it's not about what the machine is capable of, it's about what it's designed to do ;)

its awesome that you have 3 150 watt graphics processors, without a real reason why, just for a pissing contest.

have a good day!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by CwF »

millusions wrote: without a real reason why
To do the job of 3 computers, that's why. You can have your own keyboard and trackball if you'd like, because that's what it's for. So when a screen is blank, it cost the wasted 15w. You come, sit, fire up your thing and it doesn't disturb me, the tivo, or anything as if it were another computer all together. I'm sure whatever you do will run close enough to full speed.

millusions

#23 Post by millusions »

yea. but when you say 'im sure'
i dont think you are sure :)
at all P

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by CwF »

millusions wrote: 'im sure'
I found my older notes;
single video and one ssd thesystem would idle on a debian9 xfce desktop at .54A @ 123.4V
loaded under Queens it would pull 1.77A. So 67w - 220w.
A VM like a file server is hard to measure, a few watts certainly within the noise...

millusions

#25 Post by millusions »

cool.

grab a KillaWatt , i paid like $15 on Ebay shipped. to measure power draw.

just saying, i used to love old Mac Pros
I put a couple of X5690 in it, pretty good performance, geekbench for single x5690 is almost like Devil's Canyon 4790K
pretty cheap to do. very impressive performance considering the age of these CPUs.

but then when you look into power usage, it's just not worth it.
i think i3 9100 these days will do the same thing at half the power

tipsy again, and i could be wrong, but these days more into efficiency than big balls,
i do have a GTX770 and R9 270x on the shelf, but given the power draw these cards offer nothing to me over a GT710
Watts is what your looking for, a killowatt = 1000 Watts is 30 cents in Australia, im pretty sure im under that with about 7 machines here :) (could be more, i'll count again when i sober up).

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by CwF »

millusions wrote:Watts is what your looking for, a killowatt = 1000 Watts is 30 cents in Australia
Well no wonder. I pay .08, .125 kw/h peak. You are into solar territory paying back!

Measure voltage, measure amps, do the math and that does give you watts. No killawatt gadget needed. Formerly I dealt with unreliable power, slow switches to a CNG genset, battery banks on inverters - there goes 20% right there...

I still have an XP machine with dual X5687's, run them de-hyper-threaded and as dual dual cores and they hold clock while passively cooled. It still sucks power. But it's rarely booted up. The handful of 5500/5600 series are all gone now, I kept the one.

Originally I set out to replace 8 with one, that's where I'm at. It is more efficient to run one super machine than a handful of boxes once a few things run all the time. Multi-seat happens less and less, but it's there. House and shop power control is vm'ified, as is a continuous tivo from a very large antenna, a few hours of 'full transponder' in RAM, along with a few things undisclosed. Of course the ability to run test and experiments in an assisted vm is useful.

I picked the video cards after many iterations. First single slot with real power, and a proper idle. Still have a nvidia box also, they suck power doing nothing. These AMD's idle well, work on all OS's including XP since I still have serial/usb equipment that need it, and older CAD/CAM stuff. They are still not fully realized under debian, but way better than my nvidia's which are also under performing in Debian. Debian doesn't do MST for example while the 2 decade old XP does, though I haven't checked it under debian lately.

The single computer also powers all the extras, no wall warts. I have a breakout harness with all the plugs for the 2 wifi routers and the net switch (yes, a switch used on a single computer), the TV/Radio signal amps, and the discrete cell data thing. That's from an old lesson about heat dissipation and power supplies, they don't do well at high altitude.

Of course somebody will say the complexity isn't worth it and that little fruit pie computers would be simpler and more reliable. I thought that was a reasonable thought 4 years ago. My current up time of 34+ weeks suggest otherwise. And the file server segment never falls asleep!

My Truck can tell you power use, it can delegate from ~0 to 38A for it's 5 heaters, chargers, server, SDR mesh, cameras, and hotspot. It can also run the house in an emergency outage with 3000W+ AC at 1200rpm. No, not factory. All made from components I could order from Hong Kong for cheaper than me mailing them to you. Those days might be gone. Used to receive a few packages a week, that's dried up. So an inductive coil to make a killawat was a buck shipped, no more...I should have stocked up, usually do.

millusions

#27 Post by millusions »

that's why i run hackintoshes for any network services.

because other operating systems seem to have a pretty retarded view on WOL

i love Debian, have some really good memories with it, but Mac OSX is the best bsd distro

my MacOSX Mojave 10.14.6 server wakes up when i access it in any way at all, other times the sleep light blinks. no magic packet bullshit needed.
tried to get Debian to do it but giving up.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#28 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

millusions wrote:my MacOSX Mojave 10.14.6 server wakes up when i access it in any way at all, other times the sleep light blinks. no magic packet bullshit needed.
Do You know how Your hackintosh wakes up on LAN activity?
There's a plenty of possibilities:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wake-on-LAN
The Wake-on values define what activity triggers wake up: d (disabled), p (PHY activity), u (unicast activity), m (multicast activity), b (broadcast activity), a (ARP activity), and g (magic packet activity).
I'm guessing that OSX wakes up on PHY and/or broadcast activity - which is fine for homebrew NAS, as long it is not accessible from the outside world. Otherwise such default behaviour is completely wrong - I'm sure that no one wants to wake up the NAS on external port scanning (f.e.)

My point is, again, that there's no size which fits them all ...

Besides, again, Debian is an Universal system - don't expect that universal system will be shipped with pre-configured WOL - this functionality is extremely rarely used and there's no good default wakeup method.

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

millusions

#29 Post by millusions »

I dont know what youre guessing but it just works on OSX

with PHY debian wont sleep, id look into this some more but it's working for me, so dont need to.

yes. i understand Debian is a toolbox but the definition of this is kinda vauge.
there is some expectations of a computer to do some basic tasks, like sleep and wake on demand, but then you dissect the definition of basic, as in, we're booting with a working fstab = you do the rest.

when you highlight UNIVERSAL, what the fk do you exactly mean by that?

god bless those Apple nerds so dont have to fiddle with "d (disabled), p (PHY activity), u (unicast activity), m (multicast activity), b (broadcast activity), a (ARP activity), and g (magic packet activity)."
to get a computer do what it's supposed to.

i'll never understand why such basic functions are 'optional' because we're a UNIVERSAL OS lol

feel free to ingore me. bit drunk again :)

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#30 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

millusions wrote:i'll never understand why such basic functions are 'optional' because we're a UNIVERSAL OS lol

feel free to ingore me. bit drunk again :)
I think that I've already explained "why"...

Anyway, You have Your point of view, I have My point of view - everyone has His point of view, so just let's agree to disagree ...

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed