Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Python3.7 get it back on system

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
brcisna

Python3.7 get it back on system

#1 Post by brcisna »

Hello All,

Debian Bullseye,

As of about 2 weeks ago,Debian updated Python3.8 and at same time deprecated python3.7 (that i also had installed) . At this time apt done the autoremove of 3.7 which I ok'd of course. Well since then i realized i have one app that i use occasionolly that runs in a virtualenv that will only work with python3.7. Long story short python3.7 is no longer in the Bullseye repos,and i cannot figure out how to use backports to get python3.7 reinstalled. I tried installing 3.7 from source but with all the companion packages to get it to actually work,i knew it wouldnt work which it does not.correctly anyway.
Can anyone give insight what could be done to get any version of python3.7 in a repo for Bullseye?

Thank You

ruwolf

Re: Python3.7 get it back on system

#2 Post by ruwolf »

You can make mix of distributions of Debian.
It is not recommended, but I used such mix for a lot years without serious failure.
But you should use aptitude for resolving potential conflicts.
You can set priorities of distributions in /etc/apt/preferences or in /etc/apt/preferences.d/.
But I do not know, if python 3.7 and python 3.8 do not conflict. At least, they are both aliases for python3. You can set, which one would be your default, too, but by different method...

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Python3.7 get it back on system

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...