Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't install a *.deb file.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Noone_

Can't install a *.deb file.

#1 Post by Noone_ »

Hello,
This deb file was working well with Debian 8 & 9, but not Debian 10. Please see the URL link for more details regarding to this problem.
Thank you very much.
Regards,
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vpta9cym ... mm3wl2djl5

cuckooflew

Re: Can't install a *.deb file.

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

You should not be trying to install different versions, those are intended for ubuntu, and older versions of Debian , maybe ,...please read this: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Then go figure, simple logic .
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Please just describe the deb file instead of expecting me to go to some damn outside website. That's bad netiquette.
MX Linux packager and developer

ruwolf

#4 Post by ruwolf »

Why do you need such ancient library? It seems to be more than 6 years old...

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

stevepusser wrote:Please just describe the deb file instead of expecting me to go to some damn outside website. That's bad netiquette.
Yea, real bad , I suspect a child playing a game,...
It looks like it is this:

Code: Select all

cav-linux_x64.deb 
And

what is cav-linux_x64.deb 
points to stuff like this:

Step 1: Download Comodo AntiVirus for Linux (CAVL)
Step 2: Download & install dependency libssl0.9.8 on Ubuntu

Before installing the Comodo Antivirus, it needs an extra file which is libssl to install it on Ubuntu, follow the below commands:

1. Add the repo to Ubuntu

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Copy and add the following resource link anywhere in the sources.list

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-security main universe
---snip---
9. See the files

ls

10.  Install libssl0.9.8

sudo dpkg -i libssl0.9.8_0.9.8o-7ubuntu3.2.14.04.1_amd64.deb

Overview- Output of the above commands:-----snip----

I did look at the dropbox, but yea, the OP could have just told us what it is. Also the dropbox thing is a image, of text that could have just been copied / pasted into a post here,...I personally am wondering what the OP's motives are, but any way, assuming they just don't know better. I figured the don't break debian link, if they read it , will be clear enough.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Use either gdebi or apt from the command line to see the full error message, that will show why it won't install.
deadbang

Noone_

#7 Post by Noone_ »

ruwolf wrote:Why do you need such ancient library? It seems to be more than 6 years old...
Hello,
I need it for installing COMODO Antivirus. Thanks for your concern.

Noone_

#8 Post by Noone_ »

stevepusser wrote:Please just describe the deb file instead of expecting me to go to some damn outside website. That's bad netiquette.
Hello,
Thank you for your time to read my post, and I am very sorry for any inconvenient it might have caused.
Regards,

Noone_

#9 Post by Noone_ »

cuckooflew wrote:You should not be trying to install different versions, those are intended for ubuntu, and older versions of Debian , maybe ,...please read this: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Then go figure, simple logic .
Hello,
Thank you very much for your advice and a long detail posting of how to install a file from Ubuntu. It seems very helpful, but I have a second thought about installing this file after all.
Regards,

cuckooflew

#10 Post by cuckooflew »

Your welcome, There is a combination of things that make it a bad program/file for Debian, as you probably see now, 1 being it is a out dated version, 2 being that it uses libraries intended for Ubuntu, the .deb package seems to be intended for Ubuntu, and all though Ubuntu is based on Debian it is not the same as Debian.
Any way, you also really should not need it on Debian, these "ant-virus" programs are needed on MS windows, but Linux , Debian is different, and there really are not many viruses designed to work on Linux.
You might try a search or contact COMODO Antivirus, and see if there is a newer more up to date version, that can be used on Debian, a quick search shows there is something here:
(never mind , it is commercial, closed source and does not work)
===== edited ===============
Removed link, it is still outdated, and does not work on Debian, see below, next post
=================================
I will see, if a more recent version works better, apparently it will install automatically, well never mind,
best forget about it.
The older versions were all for Ubuntu,.. that is why all I found was for Ubuntu. You should all ways be carefull though , installing anything from outside the Debian repositories, ...I would not install it my self.
I found this,
from https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/the ... for-linux/Comodo Antivirus might be too complicated for those who are not tech-savvy. Be careful and pay attention when installing the free version. By default, Comodo will automatically change your browser and primary search engine.

Comodo also has no web filtering or URL blocking.

For advanced users looking for a feature-rich and highly configurable antivirus program, Comodo is a good choice. Average users might find it too difficult to use.
But the "Comod" is NOT a good choice, it is outdated, and they have not replaced the old library with a current one, there is no way to modify it, that I know of since it is closed source....
============= end edit =====
If you wait a while, I will down load the above file, and give it a try/test on a Debian 10 VM and let you know what I think, later tonight or tomorrow I will get back to this.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-07-12 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
and

cuckooflew

#11 Post by cuckooflew »

NO, they have not upgraded it to be suitable for Debian,
Besides that it is closed source, there is no way to check and see what this program/ .deb package actually has in it, or what it might do,...
==============================edit=============
Ok, well I did finally figure out how to install it, and it works, but I still don't recommend installing it,
This command in a terminal,

sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=libssl0.9.8 -i cav-linux_x64.deb 

Or "su -" It will then install and when it is finished installing run::

sudo /opt/COMODO/post_setup.sh 
You might want to go to their website, and download a newer version, though.
OP>> Noone_ » but I have a second thought about installing this file after all.

Yes, definitely "think twice", maybe even more then twice,...keep in mind, I use a VM for this, mostly just to see if I could, but also to see what happened, I certainly would NOT install it my main system, it is to risky.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-07-12 05:32, edited 2 times in total.
and

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

"Old" and "antivirus program" go together like a peanut butter and fish sandwich. Why one would ever get it from some random dropbox link is beyond me, too, not to mention Comodo's abysmal reputation among security experts.

cuckooflew

#13 Post by cuckooflew »

I don't know about their reputation, Can you show us ?
Why one would ever get it from some random dropbox link is beyond me, too,
Well, that just shows how little you actually read anything, no body got it from a "random drop box link", the OP did post their install output on drop box, and I agreed that was bad netetiquette , but beyond that
drop box had nothing to do with, the download is from the https://www.comodo.com/home/ website,...

Any way, I don't understand why anyone would want it either, but it was kind of interesting installing it.
"dali" relax a little and try to enjoy life a little bit, if you do not or did not want to try to help th OP, that is fine, if not maybe just ignore the thread... be happy and have a good night. :mrgreen:
and

Noone_

#14 Post by Noone_ »

cuckooflew wrote:NO, they have not upgraded it to be suitable for Debian,
Besides that it is closed source, there is no way to check and see what this program/ .deb package actually has in it, or what it might do,...
==============================edit=============
Ok, well I did finally figure out how to install it, and it works, but I still don't recommend installing it,
This command in a terminal,

sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=libssl0.9.8 -i cav-linux_x64.deb 

Or "su -" It will then install and when it is finished installing run::

sudo /opt/COMODO/post_setup.sh 
You might want to go to their website, and download a newer version, though.
OP>> Noone_ » but I have a second thought about installing this file after all.

Yes, definitely "think twice", maybe even more then twice,...keep in mind, I use a VM for this, mostly just to see if I could, but also to see what happened, I certainly would NOT install it my main system, it is to risky.
Thank you very much for your advice. I had changed my mind, and I installed ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0.95.0 instead. It offers 30-day trial period. Just let you know in case you want to try. It works fine with Debian, but it's not Free.

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

cuckooflew wrote:I don't know about their reputation, Can you show us ?
This from someone that's always telling others to search the web first before asking an easily answered question? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comodo_Cy ... troversies

I used to listen to the highly regarded Security Now podcast, and Comodo's crumminess was common knowledge.

cuckooflew

#16 Post by cuckooflew »

Postby stevepusser » 2020-07-19 02:26
cuckooflew wrote:
I don't know about their reputation, Can you show us ?

This from someone that's always telling others to search the web first before asking an easily answered question? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comodo_Cy ... troversies

I used to listen to the highly regarded Security Now podcast, and Comodo's crumminess was common knowledge.

Thanks, ok, well I did not see that one, surprising really,...but I did search, and all got was "promotional" adds ,promoting their software, obviously those are going to only say positive things.Any way, thanks for taking the time to show us.
and