Jessie package availability

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Jessie package availability

Postby noah@tookish.net » 2020-07-11 01:36

I help to maintain a system that's running Jessie—we're in the process of retiring it, but it's going to be around for a few more weeks. I'm just wondering if it's safe to upgrade a few packages that show available upgrades—if I do "apt upgrade" now will I still get Jessie packages even though it went out of LTS a couple of weeks ago?

When I do "apt list --upgradeable" It looks like I will get the right packages, but I tried to confirm by finding out how long the packages remain available and I wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks in advance.
noah@tookish.net

Re: Jessie package availability

Postby ruwolf » 2020-07-11 01:55

ruwolf

Location: Slovakia, Banovce nad Bebravou, Matice slovenskej 1260/4-7

Postby stevepusser » 2020-07-11 01:57

It was my understanding that the repos have been moved to the archive section, but you can check that by running "apt-get update". If they can't be found, your upgrades will fail until you update your sources.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby noah@tookish.net » 2020-07-11 02:11

Okay, thanks very much for the info. There are packages showing up as available, and it looks like they’re what I need—my concern is that when Jessie reached EOL the old stable stuff automatically started pointing at Stretch packages that will blow everything up, but it doesn’t look like that’s the case. I’ll make sure I have a good backup and give it a shot.

Thanks again.
noah@tookish.net

Return to General Questions