Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(SOLVED) Odd sleep/ACPI behaviour

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Mr. Lumbergh

Re: Odd sleep/ACPI behaviour

#21 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

Deb-fan wrote: Have studied things which parallel what would (or some things which could) be involved in getting best audio recording, sound quality etc in gnu/Linux. Might try looking into a Windows install on a real hypervisor ie: Kvm vs use of an emulator like WINE. I've looked it over but could never bring myself to install it. The idea of mixing a bunch of windows software into a gnu/Linux OS, has always somewhat disgusted me on some level. So I've read but could never commit to actually using it/WINE. Might give you some joy(a Windows guest os installed on a virtual machine) on software not natively supported on Nix and may even impart some degree of better performance of such software vs what can be done with WINE. That's pure speculation on my part though, I honestly don't know for sure.
The bummer about virtualization though is the additional overhead of running Windows, plus the fighting it always seems to need to pass through my audio interface to the guest OS. Then there's that whole Windows thing...
There are a couple of synth plugins I have that have demo versions that ran fine in WINE, but once I paid for the full version demanded crap like iLok piracy protection that I just can't get WINE to run. That worked my nerves for obvious reasons, and I've avoided anything by AIR or iZotope since that hard lesson. Live and learn I guess. Since I can't my money back I'll go ahead and install those on my Macbook using their OSX versions, once I get the DAW and stuff installed there. I'm still waiting on a couple upgrades.
Deb-fan wrote: Another poss place to look is what your system is using as the power governor. On new Intel (they have this pstate thing) on older Intel and on AMD generally default to the ondemand governor. One of the kernel config's jacked up on RT kernels and many desktop "performance" kernels is the timer interrupt freq, how often the kernel checks for tasks it should be doing, on RT and performance kerns often you'll find it set at 1000hz vs 250hz that many-most distro's kernels come with. Reason I bring up power governor selected on an OS, it plays a big role in how high, how quickly your cpu(s) step up their clock speeds. This can have an impact on how live time apps etc perform. If the clock speeds are capped too low(by power governor), even though the kernel is RT and has preemption and timer interrupt set to 1000hz, such a setup could still clash and come up lacking in performance potential. You've likely already covered this to whatever extent too, if not am just noting it. Are you already using the performance governor ? I like the ondemand governor but have tweaked it from what's generally found set default.

On my Os's it's set to step up the cpu-cores clock speeds(cycles)more quickly and keep it raised a bit longer whenever the cores get put under load. Most the time, if not needed I want my cores to stay running at the lowest clock speeds. Conserves power, reduces heat and other wear n tear on the proc's. Anyway don't doubt getting best audio out of gnu/Linux is a fairly wide subject itself, so am going to shut it as I've never focused on it and don't doubt there's a TON of good resources available with which people could learn much on the subject. You can find which config options are set/used in whichever of your kernels looking at their files kept in /boot ie: config-4.19 etc in that location.
No, I hadn't actually thought about governor tweaks, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mr. Lumbergh

Re: Odd sleep/ACPI behaviour

#22 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

pendrachken wrote:
It's also remotely possible that xen is grabbing the USB connection when waking from sleep for some reason. Personally, I think a kernel regression is way more likely, but this is also a possibility.
Well, I thought I was out of the woods using the 5.4 kernel but it happened again last night. I had to plug in a keyboard from another box this morning to wake from sleep and restart so that the USB was back online. You mentioned Xen and I did run a VM briefly over the weekend; how would I check to see if it's still binding to the USB3 ports?