Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenovo ThinkPad X390 won’t boot while plugged in

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MatoZ

Lenovo ThinkPad X390 won’t boot while plugged in

#1 Post by MatoZ »

Hello. I’m using Lenovo ThinkPad X390 Yoga (model type: 20NN002NMC). I have been using dual boot of the preinstalled Windows 10 x64 and Linux (formerly Debian based distro). About 6 weeks ago, after updating the BIOS to N2LET76W 1.75 (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2lur14w.txt) and the Intel Management Engine Firmware (12.0.67.1579), an issue arose.
When I boot to Debian 10 Buster (kernel 4.19.0-10-amd64) using the Grub bootloader with active Secure Boot (fully supported), and then I then I turn the notebook off or restart it in Debian, it won’t turn back on – it won’t POST, the screen is black, etc. After that time, I need to unplug the notebook from the power adapter, or remove it from the dock, and it will boot on battery. But it won’t boot while plugged in until it boots into Windows and is turned off/restart from it. After booting to Windows, it works fine while plugged in, until it is turned off in Debian again. I have tried install firmware-linux-nonfree etc.
It looks like a BIOS/Firmware error related to power management. I’m using the latest BIOS/Firmware updated via the official Lenovo software – Lenovo Vantage (1.76). Notebook was sent to Lenovo for repairs, the motherboard was replaced, yet the problem persists – hence thinking it’s BIOS/Firmware related.
Lenovo claims it’s Debian’s issue, even though the list it as officially supported (https://support.lenovo.com/sk/en/solutions/pd031426) and there refer me to the community.
I need dual boot for work, the notebook is rendered useless without it. I bought it as it lists support at https://support.lenovo.com/sk/en/solutions/pd031426. Moreover everything used to work fine up to 6 weeks ago. Lenovo service nor an authorised repair shop could help me. Could anyone advice me, please?
The only obvious way is to downgrade BIOS, but it is not solution for me. Lenovo new bios releases are very often (for example 2 times/month) and it solving serious problems like problems with dock, security issues etc.
Many thanks for your help.

emariz

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X390 won’t boot while plugged in

#2 Post by emariz »

Two days ago, something weird happened on my Thinkpad: I was at the office, working with the laptop on battery, then hibernated the system. When I got home, the system would not boot. It would turn on and show the Lenovo welcome screen but it would not advance any further. I turned if off a couple of times, restarted it, but it would not pass the welcome screen. I then realised that I had plugged in when I got home, thus I unplugged it, turned it on and then it all loaded as expected, perfectly recovering from hibernation. Somehow the laptop would not load unless it was unplugged. That was the first time that it happened. It was running kernel 5.7.0-1-amd64.

I know that your issue is more serious than mine, but I wanted to tell you my story because sometimes it is a matter of trying simple changes to identify the trigger of the issue.

In the BIOS of my laptop, there is a setting that disables all power until it is plugged in. It exists so that one can cut all power and safely open the laptop and manipulate its components. Perhaps such a setting is set when you restart from within Debian or Windows.
Like you, I think that it is a BIOS problem. Could you re-check it and try different settings related to power management? Take notes.

MatoZ

#3 Post by MatoZ »

@emariz thanks a lot for your reply. I tried change many setting in my bios but it had no effect... :-( In my bios I do not find similar setting like you. I really don't know what to do... :-( I tried Ubuntu 20.04.1 x64 with kernel 5.4.0-42-generic and it has the same problem.

MagicPoulp

#4 Post by MagicPoulp »

Often booting problems can be fixed by using the backported kernel 5.5. in buster-backports. Especially if you upgrade the bios and firmware.

I could not boot on a debian installed on a flash disk. I used the installer rescue mode and changed the kernel to 5.5. And then it booted.

Be careful, I cannot boot on the very recent 5.6 added to the backports. I can only boot on 5.5.

In grub you can always pick at least one previous kernel. So it does not harm to try installing a kernel.

MatoZ

#5 Post by MatoZ »

I have reported this issue like kernel bug https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208783 I hope that it will be fixed in short time... :-(