Multiple Updates in Bullseye/Sid

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: Multiple Updates in Bullseye/Sid

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-08-25 02:40

I'm obviously not an expert. All I'm trying to say is that I'm getting identical updates at the time of the updates

Ok, we understand that, and I am not a expert myself, but you need to show us what makes you think you are getting identical updates,
Ahh, ok well I missed that ,
I was trying to add a screenshot but I don't know how.

You mean , you don't know how to post a screen shot on the forum, ? Or you don't know how to make a screen shot ?

But if they do not show up in /var/log/dpkg.log, then there are not really identical updates,
It shows it in the notification in gnome to review the updates after each update.

This is not surprising, the notification in Gnome is a liar, and full of surprises, even more so on Debian testing , I think Gnome is playing games with you. :mrgreen:
Any way, seriously, I was going to suggest you show a screen shot, but then I saw the "I don't know how", maybe : Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes will help you on that.
To take a screen shot, I think gnome has "features" that are supposed to make that easy, but a simpler way , is to just use the 'import' command, if you have ImageMagick installed.
Code: Select all
$import "myscreen.png"

Where I say "myscreen.png", can be any name you choose, as a title for the image, do not include the " quotation marks.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby moisesrntr » 2020-08-27 00:06

cuckooflew wrote:
I'm obviously not an expert. All I'm trying to say is that I'm getting identical updates at the time of the updates

Ok, we understand that, and I am not a expert myself, but you need to show us what makes you think you are getting identical updates,
Ahh, ok well I missed that ,
I was trying to add a screenshot but I don't know how.

You mean , you don't know how to post a screen shot on the forum, ? Or you don't know how to make a screen shot ?

But if they do not show up in /var/log/dpkg.log, then there are not really identical updates,
It shows it in the notification in gnome to review the updates after each update.

This is not surprising, the notification in Gnome is a liar, and full of surprises, even more so on Debian testing , I think Gnome is playing games with you. :mrgreen:
Any way, seriously, I was going to suggest you show a screen shot, but then I saw the "I don't know how", maybe : Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes will help you on that.
To take a screen shot, I think gnome has "features" that are supposed to make that easy, but a simpler way , is to just use the 'import' command, if you have ImageMagick installed.
Code: Select all
$import "myscreen.png"

Where I say "myscreen.png", can be any name you choose, as a title for the image, do not include the " quotation marks.

Ok, I think I got to where I can show you what I mean. Click on the links below to see the screenshots.
https://imgur.com/vStAxlT
https://imgur.com/em87ujO

Notice on the OS Updates how there are multiple identical updates and on the other image like the LibreOffice updates are double.

Sorry that I been dragging this issue. I know how to take screenshot I just don't know how to post them on the forum. I tried. I found this way easier.

Thank
moisesrntr

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-08-27 02:31

Thanks for showing us,...
Ok, to me it looks like Gnome, and the GUI have a bug, probably a lot of them, but any way this one is causing the pop up or pop down thing to display /print double entries,
Your terminal, is accurate, and the log entries. You are not really getting 2 updates at the same time, it is like I said earlier:
This is not surprising, the notification in Gnome is a liar, and full of surprises, even more so on Debian testing , I think Gnome is playing games with you

Probably you should report it, you can use 'reportbug', I am sure since you are involved with and using testing you know how to do that, just try to word the bug report better then
what you did here. Don't tell them you are getting 2 updates, tell them the GUI is printing double lines, for each update.
It is not possible to get 2 updates at the exact same time, at least I don't see how it would be possible, apt can only process 1 at a time.
I will say again, I am not any expert at all, and less with GUI's and Gnome, so you might want to get some other opinions, any way I hope you solve this.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby moisesrntr » 2020-08-27 21:02

cuckooflew wrote:Thanks for showing us,...

Probably you should report it, you can use 'reportbug', I am sure since you are involved with and using testing you know how to do that, just try to word the bug report better then
what you did here. Don't tell them you are getting 2 updates, tell them the GUI is printing double lines, for each update.

I appreciate your help on his. I figured I worded it wrong and appreciate your patience, but I didn't know how else to say it. Glad I was able to upload images. I was losing everyone with my lame explanations.

My OS works fine otherwise. I just thought it was weird getting identical updates. I'll figure out how to report this bug.

Thanks again, cheers!
moisesrntr

Postby krish123 » 2020-09-28 14:00

At the point when I completed the process of overhauling, there were no triple or fourfold updates, however indeed, after several hours, a significant number of similar bundles that had been redesigned before had new overhauls, and this is ordinary. I don't do the refreshing and overhauls again and again like clockwork consistently, consequently, it is continually being refreshed and updated.
krish123

Previous

Return to General Questions