Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Libreoffice hijacks my print previews and more!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Caitlin

Libreoffice hijacks my print previews and more!

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I installed Libreoffice, even though it has many annoying features (mostly assuming what it is I want to do next, and doing it, forcing me to undo things over and over).

But it started hijacking things. Print preview in GIMP used to show what the image looked like in its own preview window; but now it activates Libreoffice instead to display the print preview. Arrgh! I was satisfied with the way GIMP used to do it, but if it must link to external software, I'd prefer it be anything but Libreoffice.

And when I use the MATE search tool, and click on a found file, it also goes to Libreoffice to display it -- even though I explicitly associated, for example, .txt with KWrite.

An internet search turned up something about the Libreoffice installer resetting associations even if you ask it not to, but the detailed article was behind some sort of policy wall I couldn't get around. At this point I'd like to find out how Libreoffice is doing this and turn it off. For all files. Forever.

Any suggestions?

Caitlin

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Libreoffice hijacks my print previews and more!

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check ~/.config/mimeapps.list

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... 1.0.1.html

Xfce has a GUI for changing the associations[0], not sure about MATE though.
deadbang

Caitlin

#3 Post by Caitlin »

I found an interface for Preferred Appliations in MATE's Control Center, and sure enough, it was pointing to stupidlibreoffice. I changed it (back?) to KWrite. I half expect stupidlibreoffice to "check to see if it's my preferred text editor" and set it back again, but so far that hasn't happened.

There's still the issue of GIMP Print Preview going to stupidlibreoffice to display the preview, but I need to check it again.

I don't suppose anyone knows where these preferences are stored? When you try to make a change to preferred applications, it gives you a multiple-choice question of up to three possibilities, but I like Xfe for my file manager, and that's not one of the choices. (Why couldn't they have done something sensible like just let you type in the name of the one you want?)

I'll submit an update in a few days.

Caitlin

Caitlin

#4 Post by Caitlin »

I found a list of application choices under Xfe. I'll try to do something with that.

Caitlin