Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Soundcard Clock

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
maxTim

Soundcard Clock

#1 Post by maxTim »

I think General Questions might be a good place for this. I might x-post to VMware as well.

Here's the setup:
Debian 10 Buster -> VMware Workstation 15 Player -> Windows 10 Home VM -> Adobe Audition 3.0

Hardware:
AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7
24 GiB RAM
GTX 960
PreSonus Audio Box USB 96

Here's the problem:
I use Audition in Windows to record spoken work audio. The issue I'm facing is that audio sometimes skips during recording. Sometimes during playback, audio is garbled until I stop and restart a few times. It's all extremely frustrating. I feel like the most likely culprit is the clock between the audio card and the virtual machine. Although, I'm not fully convinced it isn't the software itself as I've had similar issues with other fully win10 machines and Audition. But to rule out any hardware issues, is there anything I can do here with my current setup?

Some things I've tried:
Install Audition in Debian using WINE. This is a trash heap; an unusable mess.
Using Audacity. Just... No. The software just isn't up to par. Maybe it is, but using it is pulling teeth.
Virtual Box instead of VMware. The issue described above is greatly exacerbated.

I'm willing to try software alternatives. I mainly need to be able to set Cart info, timers, and expiry dates.

Not sure how helpful this particular community will be for helping me solve this issue, but I figure it's worth a shot. Debian users are diverse and generally pretty intelligent. So maybe someone out there has a solution, or at least a suggestion.

Thanks ya'll

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Soundcard Clock

#3 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

maxTim wrote:Here's the setup:
Debian 10 Buster -> VMware Workstation 15 Player -> Windows 10 Home VM -> Adobe Audition 3.0
How about the latency? :lol:
maxTim wrote:Install Audition in Debian using WINE. This is a trash heap; an unusable mess.
Yes, Adobe is particularly good in breaking working software -> they have bought CoolEditPro, which have worked perfectly under WINE and changed the name to AdobeAuditions. Apparently changing the application name at Adobe development center can break things ...
CoolEditPro v2.1 (the last version) is working fine under WINE.
maxTim wrote:Although, I'm not fully convinced it isn't the software itself as I've had similar issues with other fully win10 machines and Audition.
Didn't You just answered Your question?
maxTim wrote:I'm willing to try software alternatives.
There's at least few very good and open source alternatives to Audacity -> all You need is to use DuckDuckGo to search and try them ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Post by maxTim » 2020-08-19 10:58
I think General Questions might be a good place for this. I might x-post to VMware as well.
Errr, a little off topic, but since you mentioned it, please consider reading :
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
Before X-posting any where here on this forum.
1.Do not cross post. Posting the same topic in more than one category only creates confusion and makes it hard to keep track on the various replies. Double posts will be locked.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

maxTim

#5 Post by maxTim »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
maxTim wrote:Here's the setup:
How about the latency? :lol:

When it's working (usually after about 45min to an hour of steady use), latency isn't an issue. Since my headphones/monitors are attached to the sound card, I hear basically no latency (arguments can be made about n-seconds, but if you can't tell, why bother?).
maxTim wrote:Install Audition in Debian using WINE. This is a trash heap; an unusable mess.
Yes, Adobe is particularly good in breaking working software -> they have bought CoolEditPro, which have worked perfectly under WINE and changed the name to AdobeAuditions. Apparently changing the application name at Adobe development center can break things ...
CoolEditPro v2.1 (the last version) is working fine under WINE.

I have seen versions of CoolEditPro in the wild. I'd love to find a copy of it and give it a whirl, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have heard that same complaint from old radio heads.
maxTim wrote:Although, I'm not fully convinced it isn't the software itself as I've had similar issues with other fully win10 machines and Audition.
Didn't You just answered Your question?
It's especially bad on VMware when I first start it up. But I'd love to be able to fire it up and just get cracking.
maxTim wrote:I'm willing to try software alternatives.
There's at least few very good and open source alternatives to Audacity -> all You need is to use DuckDuckGo to search and try them ;)
Oh yes, I am well aware. I have been down so many rabbit holes. But I just end up using Audition again because it has all the features I use daily and I know where to find them. I was kind of hoping for some recommends from folks who may have been down this road before. Ya know the old saying, the shoulders of giants.. yada yada

maxTim

#6 Post by maxTim »

cuckooflew wrote:
Post by maxTim » 2020-08-19 10:58
Errr, a little off topic, but since you mentioned it, please consider reading :
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
Before X-posting any where here on this forum.
1.Do not cross post. Posting the same topic in more than one category only creates confusion and makes it hard to keep track on the various replies. Double posts will be locked.
I was gonna x-post to another forum altogether. From this forum to another forum. Thought I'd ask here first.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Perhaps run Windows under QEMU/KVM instead and pass through the sound card. Search for "QEMU/KVM PCI pass through".
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

Audacity is absolutely capable of recording a couple of channels of audio. It's ugly as sin and a bit quirky, but once you learn a tiny bit of its functionality it works excellently under the hood.
There seems to be less alternatives than there used to be. You can get the full professional multitrack DAW Ardour which is excellent and packed with features but may be overkill for simple voice recording, and many features mean steep learning curve. Or go really basic with arecord which is CLI only.
I tried another one a while back called OcenAudio which is similar to Audacity and prettier although less functional. It's not in the Debian repos though and I uninstalled it after a couple of quick tests. YMMV.

As for recording audio in WINE or VM, I've heard some people do it but my head explodes just thinking about it. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!