Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Old Debian releases on CD/DVD - [Solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cayoenrique

Old Debian releases on CD/DVD - [Solved]

#1 Post by cayoenrique »

I know there is Old Debian releases on CD/DVD

What I like you guys to orient me is:
How it the proper used of them.
I assume we download the DVD and set up a server to have our very own local apt source.

But how this is done? What server and apps are needed?
Enrique
Last edited by cayoenrique on 2020-08-28 15:36, edited 2 times in total.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Old Debian releases on CD/DVD

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

Its not a good idea to use old releases for a server. Stable is best for that.
Notes for older versions

Most importantly: the archive images are provided as a service for our users who may need them. We strongly recommend that you install the current stable release of Debian if at all possible, as that is where you will receive the best support. Older releases will no longer receive security updates
If you must use it, you would point your sources list to the archive pool.
http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/dists/

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

I don't think there is any "proper use", for them, you a free to use them as you see fit. Some people / companies do need to use them because they have very old machinery, and the computers for that machinery are also old,
Other use them as learning tools , (me any way), I still use a Debian 6 live cd as a boot CD, and it has the tools I need to be able to make repairs and get a broken system working,
But yes, as 4D696B65 said, for a server that goes online, eg: a web server, no they should not be used for that,..
I assume we download the DVD and set up a server to have our very own local apt source.
Do you realize there are many kinds of servers ? What kind of server do you mean, or want to setup ?
I am inclined to think, or want to say, similar to what they say about Debian SID,
if you need to ask these questions , you probably should not use those images,
The download page , explains a little,,
Installing an older release

If you're going to use an older release, you may need to tweak the setup to make it work. For example, some old versions may install using references to "stable" instead of the the code name of the release and this may confuse systems attempting to install security updates. See the FAQ for more information here.
Did you read the FAQ page ? https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#old
It does say about how to install them, You can use the ISO images on a VM , as well, in fact that is a good way to experiment with them. Here is some images, of my VM use:
=============
====
==============
I have a lot more, including Debian 2.00, Debian 6, 7.... but any way, mostly just a "tinker toy" thing for me. All though years ago, when I was working for a monument company , making granite monuments, sculptures, etc, we used a Debian 2 system on the computer that controlled the sand blaster, as far as I know they still use it, but it has been several years. I use Debian 6 also on a computer that controls incubators, ...
Not sure what you mean "how is this done", What is "this",? What server , depends, what kind of server you need or want, same with apps, actually there are no "apps", those are some thing the androids use and face book users, "google apps" etc,... if you mean packages or programs, then it all depends on what programs you need, and there really are not many available for the old outdated images, a compiler, editor, and maybe a few utilities, the standard Linux commands, are all that is really needed, but look at how many people insist that MS windows, and a full GUI suite of useless programs are necessary, I don't know what "apps" you need.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

cayoenrique

#4 Post by cayoenrique »

Yes understood. If you are a newbie just follow the essential rules.

Do not use old hardware.
Purchase only the latest so that you can install the latest software so that we can receive the best support.
Never disable Microsoft secure boot and only install software from Microsoft sources. HE HE HE HE Ups that is from the other forum. Never mind.
Only install direct from Debian Sources and use only the latest. Now we are on business. Sorry.

Now assume that I am one of those Weird Corporations that have no money to update their Hardware/Software. So in our assumed scenario we have a Secured Local Network that is Isolated, yes has no access to the web. Only old software is performing same job since 90's.

So I guess we got over that. And I will assume you grant me some answers.

Old Debian releases on CD/DVD, I am speaking at the DVDs holding the general packages ( Applications and libs ), NOT the single DVD to install and old Debian.

I then assume that there is a method to locally have this on my Isolated network. So that I, as a Weird Corporation can use its contents.

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

Well, no, it does not sound like you understood anything, and you are taking everything I said, twisting it into something entirely different.
Or you are telling us , "the rules", as you think they should be ?
Nobody said : "Do not use old hardware. " Is this a rule you want to establish ?
I will not obey it, all my hardware is old, ..I don't care about what others use or say, my hard ware was old, even when I first started out as a "newbie", there are many of us that can not afford to go out any buy the newest hardware,..but any way, that really is another topic.
Never disable Microsoft secure boot and only install software from Microsoft sources.
On all of my hardware , there is no secure boot to disable, ahh, you say :
--snip--that is from the other forum. Never mind.
But you still want to promote that ? Other wise you would have just removed the line.
I don't care about some other forum any way.
Only install direct from Debian Sources and use only the latest.
Well,now you got that, kind of, IF you are using Debian, you should stick with Debian repositories, try reading some documentation: EG https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Obviously you have not read much.
Now assume that I am one of those Weird Corporations that have no money to update their Hardware/Software. So in our assumed scenario we have a Secured Local Network that is Isolated, yes has no access to the web. Only old software is performing same job since 90's.
I am not sure what you are talking about here, but you can assume anything you want, but one might have access to the web or maybe they don't, I have access to internet, and use it, but I also have machines that run on FreeDos, or a early BSD, or perhaps Debian, there is no reason to be accessing internet with them, any way, I am wondering what the point of this is ?
So I guess we got over that. And I will assume you grant me some answers.
WRONG assumption, maybe some one else ? Answers to what ? If you want answers, read some documentation on the subjects you need answers for. Then try some real life solutions or scenario.... :EG: Will it burn me if I stick my hand into a micro wave oven ?, the documentation will tell you it probably will, if you turn the oven on. If that is not enough, try it your self, and see if it burns you , when turned on. ( Could be a gas oven, or even a camp-fire as well,)
Old Debian releases on CD/DVD, I am speaking at the DVDs holding the general packages ( Applications and libs ), NOT the single DVD to install and old Debian.
Again, actually I have no idea what you are talking about, maybe it is a language issue, I might speak at a lecture, but I don't see how one could "speak at a DVD", Single or multiple. As far as I know, there are no old Debian releases available on DVD or CD, ...you need to down load the images, or binaries, and then burn them onto a CD, DVD, or what ever.
I then assume that there is a method to locally have this on my Isolated network. So that I, as a Weird Corporation can use its contents.
To have what ? on your isolated network ? You don't have to be any kind of corporation, weird or other wise, any one can download and use the Debian archives, or repositories and do what they want, but I do suggest reading the Licensing documentation, first... of course no body reads the "READ THIS FIRST", document-ion, or any of the documentation available, in that aspect you are very normal, nothing weird about your corporation or you,...I should not say "nobody", a few, very few people do read the documentation, and even study it, again , I can see you are not one of those / them. (sorry, english is not my regular language)
If you are a newbie just follow the essential rules.
The above ^ was first, but yes , that is correct to some extent, some one new to Linux and Debian should follow some essential guidelines, but there are no set rules, and most newbies like you , do not follow those guidelines, so then they end up getting upset and blame me for being the reason they stopped using Linux, and also this forum, oddly enough , I don't feel any guilt or anything, I never told any one to stop using linux, nor to go away,... all though I may have suggested that some people would be better off sticking with windows, and Microsoft, ..and maybe they should go back to that other forum.
With that said, please don't look for further responses from me, I see it is just a waste of time and is pointless... no problem though, it is another case of trying a real life situation, and now I see it is pointless.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

pcalvert

#6 Post by pcalvert »

cayoenrique wrote: I assume we download the DVD and set up a server to have our very own local apt source.

cayoenrique wrote: Old Debian releases on CD/DVD, I am speaking at the DVDs holding the general packages ( Applications and libs ), NOT the single DVD to install and old Debian.

He wants to use the packages on the DVDs (and/or CDs) to create a local Debian repository that can be accessed by any computer that is connected to the company's LAN.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

cayoenrique

#7 Post by cayoenrique »

pcalvert wrote:I then assume that there is a method to locally have this on my Isolated network. So that I, as a Weird Corporation can use its contents.
He wants to use the packages on the DVDs (and/or CDs) to create a local Debian repository that can be accessed by any computer that is connected to the company's LAN.

Phil[/quote]

Yes finally I am understood. I am sorry for my English as a second language barrier.

That is the question. I want to know how is done just as a learning thing. Truth, I have no Weird Corporation. And may never need this. But as a learning experience I will like to try that out. If you guys know thanks are ahead.

cayoenrique

#8 Post by cayoenrique »

My father used to say that if I bent to much I will end showing my ass crack. As in do not apologist to much as it never ends up correctly.

But as I am just starting in this forum and I want to adopt Debian as my full time Linux environment. Well I want to give it a try. I am hopping I will not have to delete this account and survive.

@Moderators I beg you step in. Read my posts. See that I had never try to push as secrete agenda on the forum not on any of its VIP members. I am genuinely asking for help. If for any chance you deduce I am wrong, I will accept your witches and delete this account.

@cuckooflew
I can not continue with this dilemma, Every other post I write I have to include a apology or "Please do not misunderstand me". As I said I have no secrete agenda. I am truly so sorry you are taking all on the wrong way. Please accept this as my last attempt to make you understand.

PLEASE be my friend, just help me out if you can.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

search a little more, search here for deb [trusted=yes] on how to create your own repository. No special software needed except dpkg-dev and a friendly command line. I'm sure I've typed this before.

I carried Jessie on my phone for a few years. It could emulate 2 cdrom's, one a non-free net install and the other a 2-4GB repository. Worked fine in my age of no local internet. However, why ever, it works if you need it. I would avoid the special packages to maintain and cache a local repository unless you actually are feeding dozens of computers on a secret network. A phone, or usb drive will do the job. After a minimal install from without internet, you can transfer the 'pool' to a local directory, redirect sources.list and proceed all off line. It's clumsy, and possible.

First off there are many orphaned computers out there that have a job to do that doesn't need, hasn't needed an upgrade in a decade.

Secondly, Debian works better on a 5 year old computer than it does on fresh shiny things.

cuckooflew

#10 Post by cuckooflew »

pcalvert , Thank you for clarifying, and also, re; apology, no big deal, I am sorry if I am not clear either. To me apologies are like etiquette , and they go a long ways, just like a "good morning", or "have a nice day", In fact I start out every day with a apology, but that is beyond the scope of the forum, In a nutshell, I tell the boss, "I am sorry, I am not perfect like you are, please help me with the day, and show me how to survive it. "
I think I did mention there is documentation and instructions on setting up your own local repositories , for a local net work...or whatever you want to use it for. I do have links somewhere in my old notes, but in any event , it was not hard finding the when I needed the instruction my self. Not counting the economic factor, I do need to make a living, Eg: work, and I do not have the time, nor the health to do all the searches, or plug in one of my portable USB drives, where I have my notes stored, any way, I did get this: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Setup just now. It is a good starting point,
Another: https://www.unixmen.com/setup-local-apt ... -debian-8/ Yes , I know , you are wanting to use older versions of Debian, and that is fine, you can apply some of the the above have, to any version of Debian, even the arcived versions, and we all ready showed the links those, (I am pretty sure),
the key words for a search:

Code: Select all

How to use the packages on the DVDs (and/or CDs) to create a local Debian repository 
One result, and a good one, I all ready posted it before, but will do so again:https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/
A important part :
My question is not answered by this FAQ!

If you cannot find an answer to your question here, you can ask for help on one of the Debian mailing lists. In all cases, you should search the mailing list archives before sending mail to the lists. You can subscribe to and unsubscribe from the lists. However, you do not need to be subscribed in order to send mail to the lists - if you are not subscribed, ask for replies to be CC'd to you.
the same would apply to this forum, "
you should search the mailing list archives before sending mail to the lists
you should search the forum topics and posts , before asking the questions. I know the forum search engine is not that good, but it does work, also other search engines often work to find old posts and topics here as well.
A hint, for information regarding old , out dated, un supported Debian versions, search the OLDEST posts / topics first. Also :https://www.debian.org/distrib/archive
======================
https://www.howtoforge.com/using-old-de ... urces.list
================
https://snapshot.debian.org/
snapshot.debian.org

The snapshot archive is a wayback machine that allows access to old packages based on dates and version numbers. It consists of all past and current packages the Debian archive provides.

The ability to install packages and view source code from any given date can be very helpful to developers and users. It provides a valuable resource for tracking down when regressions were introduced, or for providing a specific environment that a particular application may require to run. The snapshot archive is accessible like any normal apt repository, allowing it to be easily used by all.

The Debian Project would like to thank the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and LeaseWeb Netherlands B.V. for providing hardware and hosting. We would also like to thank the Electrical and Computer Engineering department at the University of British Columbia, Canada and Nordic Gaming for providing hardware/hosting and hardware, respectively, in the past.
Usage

In order to browse snapshots of the archives kept on snapshot.debian.org, simply follow the links on the top left. They will lead you to a list of months for which data was imported, and the list entries in turn will point you to all timestamps of a given month's snapshots.

For example, /archive/debian/ shows that we have imports for the main Debian archive, http://ftp.debian.org/debian/, from 2005 until the present. Picking October of 2009, /archive/debian/?year=2009;month=10, provides us with a list of many different states of the debian archive, roughly spaced 6 hours apart (the update frequency of ftp.debian.org at that time). Following any of these links, say /archive/debian/20091004T111800Z/, shows how ftp.debian.org/debian looked on the 4th of October 2009 at around 11:18 UTC.
=======================
Just now see this, wish I had known that sooner,
by cayoenrique » That is the question. I want to know how is done just as a learning thing. Truth, I have no Weird Corporation. And may never need this. But as a learning experience I will like to try that out. If you guys know thanks are ahead.
And that is why I no longer have the time, nor interest, I have done all I can, you can play your games with someone else , but I am not interested any more. Thank you for telling us this.
PLEASE be my friend, just help me out if you can.
If I did more, you won't learn anything, you need to learn how to do your own research, and try doing your own experiments,... As for "be my friend",...let's just say, I am not your enemy, and leave it at that.
As for this:
@Moderators I beg you step in. Read my posts. See that I had never try to push as secrete agenda on the forum not on any of its VIP members. I am genuinely asking for help. If for any chance you deduce I am wrong, I will accept your witches and delete this account.
There are correct ways to contact the moderators: Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
But we don't delete accounts here, and honestly I hope you don't start bothering the admins and moderators with this, they really do have better things to do.
Have a good Day
and

cayoenrique

#11 Post by cayoenrique »

I always do search before asking. I guess my English as a second language do not help me find the appropriate/smart words in the search so many times I only waits time on the search.

@CwF yes it is funny, my very first Debian installation was about 10 years back doing debootstrap to install it in Android. Debian on Android was very efficient as it helps me to overrides Androids limitation. But I never did try Debian as my full-time Linux OS. It was last year that I got involved some how with Debian.

Nice links an suggested Search TIPS. Now I can see a few good samples. I will set this as closed.

THANKS to ALL of you.
Enrique.

cuckooflew

Re: Old Debian releases on CD/DVD - [Solved]

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

I find it help full to write the key words in language I use best,...EG: A spanish speaker /writer --would use Spanish key words, that way also most of the results are in my language as well.
Sometimes it is not easy, and I need to try variations of the key words, and sometimes there just are not any good results...
Debian 1.1 and 2.0 is interesting because the install disks were on old 1.44 floppies :
http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/ ... faq-8.html
The Root Disk.

Download the file called root.bin. It will fit on either a 1.44 MByte or a 1.2 MByte floppy disk.
I used to have Dos 6, on my PC, later Freedos, and with that I accessed internet, of course my host for internet was Unix, and in order to use the system, one needed to learn Unix,
The Debian 1.1 boot disk , a big,step up from Dos, and being Unix like, well.... anyway I guess that is another topic. I was not the only one interested in Linux, by a long shot,
https://opensource.com/article/17/5/how ... ll-freedos
MS-DOS 6.0 had just come out in March 1993, and I was unimpressed with its new features. Version 6.0 wasn't much different from 5.0., and I wanted more. I began to look around. Most internet discussions at the time were via a distributed group system called Usenet, and it was in Usenet that someone mentioned this new thing called "Linux." It was a Unix-like operating system, but it ran on PCs. I could run it on my '386 computer.
and