“Open in Terminal” is not working

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

“Open in Terminal” is not working

Postby EmberSpirit » 2020-08-26 10:04

Title says it, open in terminal is not working at all, gnome and cinnamon packages are installed. I assume this is to little information to help me, if so feel free to ask any questions. After preforming this actions nothing happens

Edit: Debian 10.5 OS. $ env | grep erm
XTERM_VERSION=Xterm(344)
TERM=xterm
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE=/usr/share/applications/debian-uxterm.desktop

https://imgur.com/a/l7i8jvt
EmberSpirit

Re: “Open in Terminal” is not working

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-08-26 14:23

I get that sometimes, but am not using Gnome or any of that stuff...seems like some kinds of files can not be opened that way.
The best way to open something in a terminal: 1st open a terminal, cd, to the directory where the file is, 'ls' to see what is in the dir.
Then it depends, and you don't tell us, Why do you want to open these ?
If you just want to view it:
'less usbkill'
If you want to edit:
'joe usbkill' ( joe is a editor, you can replace that with any editor name.
If you want to debug the GUI blobs, and try to figure out why they don't work as expected, that is something else, and I can not answer on that. I stopped wasting time with trying to debug most of the GUI software, just not worth the time and trouble to me,...but I know , to some people that is important and the GUI is essential.
Back on topic, if it is a file/program/script that you want to execute, make sure the permissions include executable,.. and usually a ./ preceding the name, eg:
'./usbkill'
Instead of "open with terminal", using the "open with <program eg:nano,etc.>" option is best. Guess that is about it.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-08-26 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-08-26 14:56

Do you see any extra messages added to ~/.xsession-errors after a failed attempt?
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-08-26 16:43

I assume this is to little information to help me, if so feel free to ask any questions.

In the screen shot, I can not know what file manager that is, and that might be relevant.
Tip: Perhaps try a different file manager, for example "thunar", see if the same thing happens.
And I just noticed something odd,
Code: Select all
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE=/usr/share/applications/debian-uxterm.desktop

I tried using thunar, and the open with terminal worked fine, my default being then when I tried using
"uxterm", it would not, just like you say, it does nothing. I happen to have uxterm installed because I wanted to try it, but did not like it, so try using xterm as default, or some other terminal.
Of course check .xsession-errors like H-O-A-S says as well...
Eg:
Code: Select all
.xsession-errors 
xterm: No absolute path found for shell: /home/cuckoo/ISOimages
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
PCRE2 library was built without JIT support

This is when I tried using "uxterm", I don't know why it says "xterm",... But the message is clear, I need to configure / define my SESSION_MANAGER environment (I think)
Note , I am not on Debian, but for a example it is good, yours may appear different
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Return to General Questions