Change Power Scaling Governor - Permanently -

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: Change Power Scaling Governor - Permanently -

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-09-22 19:59

^ So thats a no on the testing. Will have to forgive my ramblings dear Hoas, man id like to meet you, if ever in London, gonna look you up fellow nixer. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby stevepusser » 2020-09-22 23:41

For example if I had a beast of a processor with 4-8-12 cores running @ already ridiculous base freqs, realistically almost NOTHING should ever push that system to a 95% core-load(ondemand's default up_threshold)...

That's ridiculously easy to achieve if you build a lot of packages like I do, hence my quest to optimize the performance of the machine. I should also mention that on Optimus gaming laptops, the CPU may run a lot faster if the power-hungry discrete GPU is turned completely off, so it doesn't compete for amps and cooling capacity with your stressed-out CPU.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-09-23 00:03

^ :D You mentioning how taxing your compilation adventures tend to be was exactly what i was thinking about while typing that almost nothing. Though you do A LOT more of such things than the vast majority ever would.

Point made there stands as a huge chunk of desktop nixers and pc users of all type have systems they'll only use a fraction of anyway. Still knowing these types of things regarding how the ondemand governor works, how to tune it is still dang good info to have.

While dorking with that scripting approach to switching gov's noted the ondemands defaults would be restored while switching back n forth being an obsessive system monitor type, couldnt help noticing a negative impact the defaults had vs simple tuning i do, with defaults, running higher temps, freqs bouncing all over the place, higher load avgs. Restored a few preferred tweaks, all that gone. Everything nice and smooth again.

Think the ondemand gov is kickbutt, though needs to be tuned and if someone has no idea how any of this works, kinda hard for them to do. Anyway ... time to take a forum break guys-gals. Happy nixing. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby sickpig » 2020-09-23 07:33

Deb-fan wrote:id like to meet you, if ever in London, gonna look you up fellow nixer. :)

221B Baker Street
sickpig

Previous

Return to General Questions