Need help.

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Need help.

Postby Noone_ » 2020-09-21 19:33

Hello,
I am using ESTE antivirus for Linux. I found the log file with interesting details, such as: "Cannot unblock removable media...". Their responses to this problem is to ignore it because of AppArmor installed in Debian 10. Please see the attached file through the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ay8o9zp8fkim ... Ao8Oa?dl=0

Sorry, I could not upload attachment due to quota limitation. I am in doubt of their response, so I already uninstalled the software and in process of asking for the refund. Thank you very much for your helps.

Best regards,
Noone_

Re: Need help.

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-09-21 21:10

Noone_ wrote:I am using ESTE antivirus for Linux.

Did You mean ESET? - this is a virus pretending to be anti-virus - it allows an external company to take a full control of Your OS - just ignore the logs and uninstall it as quick as possible ... ;)

There are no viruses which are functional on Linux-based systems - there are security holes of course, but none of them can be used without user assistance ...

Some time ago, for "unknown" :lol: reasons, Comodo have stopped to publish their virus database statistics - the results were quite obvious - ZERO new active viruses working on Linux systems, over 2000 new working viruses for Windows - per day (!) - this is not a joke :lol:
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby sunrat » 2020-09-21 21:21

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:

Did You mean ESET? - this is a virus pretending to be anti-virus

ESET is one of the best antivirus programs for Windows. Totally useless in Linux unless you are running as a mail server for a Windows network so it can scan emails for malware before sending them to Windows systems.
Saying it's a virus is just silly.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-09-21 21:32

sunrat wrote:Saying it's a virus is just silly.

Yes, I've expected such an answer - it was a little provocation ...
Technical explanation:
Anti-virus software is using exactly the same methods as the viruses to change the OS behaviour - the most basic method is to replace system calls. You can of course call it "silly", but the methods used by anti-virus software are *exactly* the same as those used by viruses ... - so the only question which is left is who controls who ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby Noone_ » 2020-09-21 22:41

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:

Did You mean ESET? - this is a virus pretending to be anti-virus - it allows an external company to take a full control of Your OS - just ignore the logs and uninstall it as quick as possible ... ;)

There are no viruses which are functional on Linux-based systems - there are security holes of course, but none of them can be used without user assistance ...

Some time ago, for "unknown" :lol: reasons, Comodo have stopped to publish their virus database statistics - the results were quite obvious - ZERO new active viruses working on Linux systems, over 2000 new working viruses for Windows - per day (!) - this is not a joke :lol:

Yes, I meant ESET. Sorry for the typo. Thank you very much for your responses.
Noone_

Return to General Questions