Catch-22

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Re: Catch-22

Postby sickpig » 2020-09-26 09:07

PieterB wrote:Anyway, thanks for caring. I'm just going to follow the general consensus and nuke the thing - which I hoped to avoid, since it means that I need to buy some other stuff.

this can help http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=146740
sickpig

Postby kedaha » 2020-09-26 10:03

Or maybe just sudo su without the hyphen as detailed in this link:
beaglebone-and-the-root-superuser?
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Postby reinob » 2020-09-26 12:41

kedaha wrote:Or maybe just sudo su without the hyphen as detailed in this link:
beaglebone-and-the-root-superuser?

Please read again the first post :)
sudo is not working in his installation anymore, because he made /etc world-writable.
Code: Select all
sudo: /etc/sudoers is world writable
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

Whatever he does to fix his problem, he cannot use sudo.
reinob

Postby kedaha » 2020-09-26 14:35

Ha! I was assuming he would've reinstalled as advised.
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Postby PieterB » 2020-09-27 07:54

Okay, just to bring closure to this, as info for anyone at all interested, and as a guide for anyone who worked themselves into a similar situation:

I did indeed re-install debian on my BeagleBone Black.

That involved buying a USB/microHD Card Reader, and an 8Gb microSD card, downloading and installing the balenaEtcher tool on my laptop, and downloading the latest BBB debian image from the Beaglebone site.
https://www.balena.io/etcher/
https://beagleboard.org/latest-images

There are 2 debian images, one is intended to configure the microSD as a boot source, and the other is to automatically flash the debian image to the BBB eMMC on-board flash storage after it has booted (referred to as "Flasher" images). I chose the latter.

I then wrote the image I downloaded to the microSD card using 'BalenaEtcher'.

After the image is written, you power down the BBB, insert the microSD it into the BBB card slot, and re-apply power while holding down the 'Boot' button on the BBB, which causes it to boot from the microSD instead of the eMMC. Since I downloaded the image which transfers itself to the eMMC after boot, that is what it did. In the process, it powered down the BBB a few times, so I just removed the power source and re-applied it every time. (O yes, I'm using the 5V power socket on the BBB with a 5V DC power supply).

The new debian image I downloaded is somewhat different from the one that came pre-installed, and I recommend the above procedure for anyone as a first step after getting a new BBB.
The Browser interface is very different and includes a fully-fledged development IDE, together with some sample projects.

Setting up a static IP is a lot easier, and does not seem to stuff-up the BBB's concept of a DNS, which happens on the pre-installed debian.

O yes, and I can now 'sudo'.
I still do not know what the root password is, but I can do "sudo su -" with the 'debian' password which makes me a super user, so I can probably set the root password myself, or at least find out what it is.

(I'd like to know what the root password is, because I'd rather edit system configuration files with WinSCP than with nano or vim or whatever, and you can only do that with WinSCP of you have root access to those files. Which is why I gave universal privileges to the /etc folder to begin with).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Maybe this can be helpful to some others, as well.
PieterB

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-09-27 11:41

PieterB wrote:I can do "sudo su -"

That's just silly:
sudo -i

And to set the root password use
sudo passwd root
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby reinob » 2020-09-27 16:24

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
PieterB wrote:I can do "sudo su -"

That's just silly:
sudo -i

diff <(sudo su - -c env | sort) <(sudo -i env | sort)
reinob

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-09-27 16:35

^ Well yes, the environment is slightly different but I think 'sudo -i' is more generally useful in respect of obtaining a root shell. Especially if the user has installed and configured the sudo package.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Previous

Return to General Questions