Kindle fails to connect under wine in buster

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Kindle fails to connect under wine in buster

Postby nmm1 » 2020-10-08 17:04

This is an outstanding issue in winehq, but nobody has been able to help there, so I am posting it here. If I get anywhere, I will tell the other people who are stuck.

Running buster (up to date as of Oct 8), and installing the current 'wine' package and dependencies, Kindle and Adobe Digital Editions fail to contact the network - Kindle says "Unable to connect" and ADE is more verbose but no more informative. However, Memorymap and Internet Explorer DO find the network; under jessie, with exactly the same binaries and user environment, all four find the network. There is nothing at all in /var/log, and the console has nothing but the same menubuilder messages under buster and jessie. Installing the most plausible extra packages (winbind, winetricks etc.) has no effect.

If I could get a clue of what is failing, I might be able to do something, but wine doesn't seem to have any appropriate diagnostics.
nmm1

Re: Kindle fails to connect under wine in buster

Postby nmm1 » 2020-10-08 17:07

In case it's not clear, this is the Kindle app. Not the current one, but the one that works with Calibre.
nmm1

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-10-08 19:27

nmm1 wrote:wine doesn't seem to have any appropriate diagnostics.
Actually, Wine has a very good diagnostic system - You should run the app in the terminal to see the diagnostic messages. Full diagnostic can be enabled by setting an environmental variable WINEDEBUG=ALL, but that would cause a flood of information. You can however select "debug channels", as described on the WineHQ wiki:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Debug_Channels
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby nmm1 » 2020-10-10 11:24

Thanks very much. I was already running it to the console, and there were plenty of irrelevant messages that were the same in the system that worked and the one that didn't. I will repeat with all diagnostics on, and see what is different.
nmm1

Return to General Questions