Experiences Debian install issues

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Experiences Debian install issues

Postby andredahl » 2020-12-02 16:08

I have done 6 installations of the Debian OS, finally I found one that did work properly during install.

So it is said, I do like the Debian software, that is way I have used a lot of effort to get it up and running, but there is a lot of issues with the installation programs and the update/upgrade after the install.

Install process is screaming for cd or DVD, and not USB.

WIFI is not existent in an debian installation, just ethernet cable!

Have not found anyone who could give me a proper solution on how to install wifi firmware without network, I had the file on an usb.

Only one of the installationprograms asked for it, after the 3. try it was finally accepted and the wifi worked after installation. Unfortunately I had to remove that program, next install on another pc, it was never asked/required for it on the same installation program.

Debian.org should/must write in their installation information that one can not have wifi and one must have an ethernet cable available for updates and upgrades to get wifi up and working. Be adviced that most people to day do not have among other CD possibility and have only wifi available when working.

I should be in heaven now, all updated and working, but how long were adam in heaven. I unfortunately have to do the installation on another PC for work and my experience tells me i will get into the same trouble there as well :-)

Anyone disagree with my comments, please try to solve the subjects I have introduced in this forum and I am open for improving my knowledge about Debian :-)
andredahl

Re: Experiences Debian install issues

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-12-02 17:21

Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby andredahl » 2020-12-02 17:58

Sorry, no of these comments are valid for a newbie that have already tried everything!
andredahl

Postby CwF » 2020-12-02 18:22

andredahl wrote:already tried everything!

No you haven't!
I too got irritated with installers years ago, so instead of playing with hens and eggs I built a Rooster. With one successful install I arranged it to run qemu/kvm and then learned to create virtual machines. Then I learned to manipulate the resulting images to correct configuration issues, namely firmware issues that often yield an egg of an install without the inbuilt facilities to grow. Now I simply tailor the virtual image to include all those things while in an environment where solutions are at hand. Then write out that image to the device, be it a direct disk/ssd install, or by making a hen - another usb bootable OS that has the space to hold a copy of the intended image, and the facility to image it to the target machine.

So my knowledge of installers and their issues is below that of some new users. I punted, found a better way, and don't need to know. It all started one day writing an image to a phone when I wondered why we don't do this for computers too? same same...
CwF

Postby RU55EL » 2020-12-02 19:26

andredahl wrote:[...] Debian.org should/must write in their installation information that one can not have wifi and one must have an ethernet cable available for updates and upgrades to get wifi up and working. Be adviced that most people to day do not have among other CD possibility and have only wifi available when working.[...]

Why should Debian.org write in the installation information that on can not have wifi, when they explain that some hardware needs non-free firmware which is not part of the official Debian operating system. I have replaced the wifi hardware in my laptop and desktop computers so that they don't need non-free firmware. When I perform a clean install, the wifi works without any problems, no Ethernet cable needed, because the hardware I use works with free opensource firmware.

If you have wifi hardware that required non-free firmware then read the Debian installation information at the link that Head_on_a_stick posted: 2.2 Devices Requiring Firmware

[edit]
You could also use the Unofficial non-free images including firmware packages
[/edit]
RU55EL

Postby arochester » 2020-12-02 19:41

Read this (as above) https://www.linux.com/training-tutorial ... -or-sound/

Copy the firmware from the USB stick to Downloads.

Follow the instructions given after "Install the firmware package".
arochester

Return to General Questions