Troubles in lauching Cinnamon

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Troubles in lauching Cinnamon

Postby samiel » 2020-12-13 16:33

I just installed in a partition Debian Sid with Cinnamon.
Compared to other previous installations, I encounter a problem: the console boot is fast, but as soon as the graphics server is loaded the system freezes for over a minute. It is impossible to enter username and password until unlocking, it's impossible to move the mouse too: a waiting time that frankly seems excessive to me.
I also tried to enable automatic entry for my user by installing lightdm-autologin-greeter, which worked in past installations, but now it blocks the X server: the screen goes black and it is impossible to switch, with the usual key combinations, to other consoles.
Anyone have any ideas or need more information?
Thanks
s
samiel

Re: Troubles in lauching Cinnamon

Postby pendrachken » 2020-12-14 17:28

Welcome to SID. It broke, you get to keep all the pieces.

That being said, look in your logs to see what's failing. If I was betting, I would put my money on GFX card firmware missing and crashing cinnamon before it can fall back to software rendering.

If you have to ask what logs to look at instead of searching on the internet, SID isn't right for you, neither is testing. Stick to stable. Otherwise happy hunting, learning about your system can be both educational and fun.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P
pendrachken

Re: Troubles in lauching Cinnamon

Postby samiel » 2020-12-14 21:21

Thanks for your contribution, and I recognize that it was extremely unlikely to pinpoint the cause.
I went by trial and error, but eventually discovered the nature of the problem. And I never imagined the cause:
the old drivers for my old Epson scanner.
A new version has been produced for some time (which also includes the script to access the scanner as a user, while in the past I wrote it by myself).
Removed the old drivers and installed the new ones, now the start is not fast, but very fast, only a few seconds :)
s
samiel

Return to General Questions