Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VNC/RDP keybinding to QEMU/KVM

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
k829king

VNC/RDP keybinding to QEMU/KVM

#1 Post by k829king »

So I have LMDE2 running under QEMU/KVM on a Debian 10 unit and the key mapping is fine when open from the Virtual Machine Manager (other than the display resolution is quite limited and doesn't seem top allow me to change it). So I try to connect with either XfreeRDP or with tightVNC which allow me to use a higher resolution but there is something whacky with the keybindings. Most are fine but the "s" key brings up the popup menu and the "h" key minimizes the window. I've read some specific posts about XRDP kmxxx.ini and using different vnc apps but nothing has made a difference so far. Where do I look?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: VNC/RDP keybinding to QEMU/KVM

#2 Post by CwF »

k829king wrote:Virtual Machine Manager (other than the display resolution is quite limited and doesn't seem top allow me to change it)
VMM does not limit the resolution. Either does virt-viewer which you could try.

k829king

#3 Post by k829king »

VMM does not limit the resolution. Either does virt-viewer which you could try
okay in VMM I can set video to one of Virtio/VGA/QXL.
I think from previous attempts I ended up at Virtio (for some reason) now when I click Open (Console) I assume it is running virt-viewer? (which is v7.0)
LMDE2 display resolution applet shows max res as 1280x768 (but with that the screen does this weird only showing I guess 720 and scrolls the screen if you move the mouse near the top or bottom. So I pick 1280x720 which is okay but I would like (much) bigger.
If I change VMM to VGA then using virt-viewer LMDE2 then allows max of 1680x1050 which is better, though I would still like to go bigger again if possible.
If I change VMM to QXL you can see the console boot screen but then goes blank and never seems to progress.

I did get source for virt-viewer v9.0 but I never seem to be able to build virt-viewer itself, I do get a "remote-viewer" built but I have no idea what connection to use.

I don't know if it can affect the VNC/FreeRDP keyboard issue but on starting either no matter what resolution I ask for it crashes cinamon and is defaulting to "Gnome GTK 3.14.4+4". Now it is at the higher resolution I want but has the keybinding issue so unusable.

How do I connect to a specific QEMU/KVM VM with virt-viewer (or remote-viewer).

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

k829king wrote:okay in VMM I can set video to one of Virtio/VGA/QXL.
Ok, the guest resolution is set by the guest, but the guest needs a matching driver. VGA is exactly that, needing no driver and with limited resolutions. Virtio and QXL need a guest driver, warning, I'm alseep...I need a refresh on virtio, but it is not always complete on the host and can (will) offer acceleration in a linux guest. QXL has guest drivers for linux and windows.

In linux guest install xserver-xorg-video-qxl along with spice-vdagent. This will give you cut-n-paste, multi-head, any resolution. Windows has similar drivers, search! (Fedora link I think)

VMM's viewer and virt-viewer are similar, either from the vmm interface, or virt-viewer called without vmm and from the package virt-viewer.

virt-viewer can be made into a launcher and will call up a dialog to select any running vm in the called nest.

Code: Select all

virt-viewer -c qemu:///system
You can work it out across networks, with ssh, etc. If you're local with machines, x2x will pass more features than spice. For windows guest x2vnc works well, both need a real network path.

Enjoy

k829king

#5 Post by k829king »

So I have xserver-xorg-video-qxl and spice-vdagent installed.
I've set the Video to QXL and the Display to spice server.
It is very slow to start but once started it does allow many more display resolutions.
re
In linux guest install xserver-xorg-video-qxl along with spice-vdagent. This will give you cut-n-paste, multi-head, any resolution.
How do I get cut-n-paste to work?
What do you mean by multi-head?
Any further tips to get them working?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

k829king wrote:How do I get cut-n-paste to work?
What do you mean by multi-head?
Any further tips to get them working?
QXL can set up screen0, screen1, and can set video memory. C-n-P should just work, both by gui and middle click system clipboard, there are two. Most keybinding passes through spice, but not all like media keys, and this seems very specific to set up.

Actually I'm sure the general performance is very system specific! Your cpu's do everything as if no GPU's exist. Understand you are drastically increasing overhead using vm's, so...choose purpose wisely.

VNC and RDP should not be considered and provide nothing special. If a guest has a separate gpu the equation changes and you can do most things as if bare-metal...almost. VM's are really good at light task, thinking in the background, isolating task or users, etc. Performance is tricky specific.