can I watch netflix in fullhd?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

can I watch netflix in fullhd?

Postby morgon » 2021-01-09 11:37

Hi,

after I long time I subscribed to netflix again but I cannot get it to work on my Debian testing system.

With firefox it basically works, however not in full-hd and with google chrome it does not work at all.

I've seen many claims that netflix should work on linux with chrome now but when I try to play a video all I get is "Sorry we are having trouble with your request" - you don't even get an error-code...

The last time I used netflix you could trick netflix by spoofing the user-agent, but that does not seem to work anymore - and you don't get any support from them on linux.

Has anyone found a trick to make it work?

Many thanks!
morgon

Re: can I watch netflix in fullhd?

Postby mm3100 » 2021-01-09 13:12

morgon wrote:"Sorry we are having trouble with your request"

That seems to be an issue on windows as well. I have tried to get full-hd on netflix app, edge and both were returning same message. It got so bad on edge that it would freeze it self for a full minute. I have tried it on few devices all having same issue. Or I am really unlucky.

As for firefox I have tried 1080p netflix addon, but I it didn't work for me, I know it is not full-hd, but at least it shouldn't have been 720p.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/netflix-1080p-firefox/

For what I read about it, netflix won't let full-hd on linux because of DRM issues.
mm3100

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-01-09 16:44

mm3100 wrote:netflix won't let full-hd on linux because of DRM issues.

I thought HTML5 handled DRM.

@OP: a brief search suggests that Google Chrome should work, ask them why it doesn't. That browser isn't supplied by Debian.

FWIW Netflix works fine in HD from the Android application when cast to my TV.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby mm3100 » 2021-01-10 00:15

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I thought HTML5 handled DRM.

I guess I was wrong, I seems to have missed the issue of it. What I was talking about
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/12/watch-netflix-in-1080p-on-linux-and-unsupported-browsers/

And yeah, netflix seems to be working for everyone except all devices I personally touch. And yes netflix should work great from their client be it android or windows.
mm3100

Return to General Questions