[solved]hpslip no system tray

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

[solved]hpslip no system tray

Postby oldboy » 2021-02-11 14:37

I was on buster and upgraded to testing. In buster, hplip has no system tray error (I believe system tray was removed on buster), and I had found a solution and ran or installed something and hplip and scim is on the top right panel bar. But I forgot which I did and could not find it in google (which was how I found the solution in the first place). Now that I have upgraded to testing, I am back to the same problem that hplip has no system tray. Please help. Thanks.
Last edited by oldboy on 2021-02-14 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
This oldboy has a lot of time in his hands
Linux slows down my Alzheimer and dementia
oldboy

Re: hpslip no system tray

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-11 14:55

Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby oldboy » 2021-02-11 15:11

Thanks. But I already have hplip-gui installed. I can clik on applications and start hplip. But, with system tray, I can find it easily, not as cumbersome as finding it applications (altho I have save it to my favorite), but the error message of hplip having no system tray appears every time I restart. I believe there is a package to put hplip (and scim) on the top left panel.
oldboy

Postby FreewheelinFrank » 2021-02-11 16:02

Topicons Plus extension?
FreewheelinFrank

Postby oldboy » 2021-02-11 20:46

How do I install Topicons Plus extension? thanks. I did install appindicator, but no good.
I do not need it but i want to get rid of the annoying error message whenever I reboot.
oldboy

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-11 21:36

Is this for the GNOME desktop then? I think the devs are keen to do away with niceties like the systray. Perhaps try a desktop with a more traditional paradigm. Plasma has a systray and is much lighter than GNOME although it has far too many knobs for my taste.

EDIT: as in adjustable features. I'm sure the devs are good people :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby oldboy » 2021-02-11 22:32

I have been using gnome since I started using linux (debian), since 2007, but my Alzheimer is getting worse as I age :lol: So, Ill looking for some other desk top.
oldboy

Postby arid » 2021-02-12 01:35

Quit your whining about 'old' and get a real system of sid/xfce.

Now you can have your tray and a ton of other crap that I'm sure will tickle your wrinkles.

You don't know what 'old' is if you weren't born at least in the 1930's when I arrived so I don't want to hear about your old people problems.

I don't post very often due to my brain and my bodies motor functions taking several hours to get synchronized and by then I've forgotten what forum I wanted to post to.

I composed this yesterday and sent myself an email, text and voicemail reminder. :mrgreen:
There's no drama in my sid......
arid

Postby oldboy » 2021-02-12 04:48

My goodness, you probably get the trophy for the oldest here. But I might be close to second :lol: . I'll see if I can get it going with xfce, thanks.
oldboy

Postby FreewheelinFrank » 2021-02-12 06:15

oldboy wrote:How do I install Topicons Plus extension? thanks. I did install appindicator, but no good.
I do not need it but i want to get rid of the annoying error message whenever I reboot.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/

Follow the instructions at the top of the page first to install Gnome shell integration (a browser extension) and native host connector (a Debian package) then you can install Topicons directly from the page.
FreewheelinFrank

Postby oldboy » 2021-02-14 04:21

FreewheelinFrank wrote:
oldboy wrote:How do I install Topicons Plus extension? thanks. I did install appindicator, but no good.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/

Follow the instructions at the top of the page first to install Gnome shell integration (a browser extension) and native host connector (a Debian package) then you can install Topicons directly from the page.

I cannot follow the link to get it installed. However, I googled and found the name of the package is top-icons-plus and installed it with apt. It works now. Thanks for your help.
oldboy

Return to General Questions