[?]Install oldoldstable, now unavailable, packages in stable

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

[?]Install oldoldstable, now unavailable, packages in stable

Postby bkpsusmitaa » 2021-02-12 06:10

Searched Google with the string with a hope to find something, as Google uses AI to interpret users' needs:
install debian oldoldstable packages to stable site:forums.debian.net
Didn't find anything worthwhile. Or perhaps missed.
So is it possible ... How to install oldoldstable, but currently unavailable, packages in the current stable edition of Debian? I remember a few useful packages by KDE, like ksnapshot and kcolorpaint in 7.2.0 presently unavailable. They had a lot of helpful tools now unavailable. KDE has stopped developing these nifty packages.
I know this can be done, but could someone please advise, as there are compatibility issues with binaries within these old packages and those of the present flavour.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home
bkpsusmitaa

Re: [?]Install oldoldstable, now unavailable, packages in st

Postby sunrat » 2021-02-12 07:09

Certainly would be compatibility issues. KDE has moved to Qt5 so many packages just wouldn't have libraries available. Best to look for alternatives. Or spell the package names correctly - kolourpaint is available in stable, testing, and unstable currently. Ksnapshot has been replaced by Spectacle.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Bloom » 2021-02-12 07:29

Ksnapshot is still available in the current Stable:
Code: Select all
4:18.04.0-1
        http://ftp.be.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages

But it will install kde-spectacle instead if you install it.
And kcolourpaint as well:
 4:18.04.0-1
        http://ftp.be.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
Bloom

Installed, as suggested, with thanks ...

Postby bkpsusmitaa » 2021-02-12 08:19

Thank you very much, Bloom and Sunrat, for your kind inputs. You have brought happiness to me, I found kde-spectacle and kolorpaint. Earlier, I had overlooked them, because of the change of package name and my incorrectly registering the spelling, respectively. I sincerely apologise.

My next question would be to reassign the PrtSc key with spectacle, instead of gnome screenshot in my lxde session. How should I?

Unfortunately, there was another package that could be used to resize pdf page sizes on pdf documents themselves. Delete useless pages within the file. Also, minor corrections within the documents. It was not scribus. Not libreoffice draw. It was something else. But I forgot the name. I miss that nifty tool too.

So thank you once again. You have reconnected me to some of my favourite tools.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home
bkpsusmitaa

Postby sunrat » 2021-02-12 09:43

Use
apt search <term>
to find packages you are not sure of the name. For example I used "paint" as the term to find kcolourpaint. "colour" is the proper English spelling as opposed to the simplified US English spelling "color".

I assumed you were using KDE as you asked about 2 KDE programs. In LXDE installing these may pull in a number of KDE dependencies; there may be lighter similar programs for LXDE.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Request for further inputs on a pdf GUI editor, now unavaila

Postby bkpsusmitaa » 2021-02-13 03:26

Thank you very much, Sunrat, for helping with the insights, which I overlooked. Your insight will definitely help me, I am sure.
sunrat wrote:... Use apt search <term> to find packages you are not sure of the name. For example I used "paint" as the term to find kcolourpaint ...

Yes, excellent suggestion. The same as searching for the same in synaptic, with Name, Description and Name, and so on. I didn't apply my mind in this regard.
sunrat wrote:...I assumed you were using KDE as you asked about 2 KDE programs. In LXDE installing these may pull in a number of KDE dependencies; there may be lighter similar programs for LXDE.

I have a Debian installation for smoother desktop applications like word processing, spreadsheet and image editing, and a Knoppix installation for risky work like internet browsing. Knoppix, a complete system, with a nice mixture of lxde Desktop interface, and KDE and GNOME packages, helps me have my system up and running at the shortest possible time. I have had this arrangement be known several times in the Debian forum, but I can't expect my more experienced/gifted team members here to read everything I have written here... Well, that expectation would be naive, narcissistic, egotistic and also megalomanic at the same time :) . On a serious note, I just recorded my experiences so that others could be helped by my experiences.
Regarding this note:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Unfortunately, there was another package that could be used to resize pdf page sizes on pdf documents themselves. Delete useless pages within the file. Also, minor corrections within the documents. It was not scribus. Not libreoffice draw. It was something else. Not terminal based unlike pdftk, but full GUI application. But I forgot the name. I miss that nifty tool too.

I had searched earlier with the string "pdf edit" but got nothing more than pdfmod. But that tool was something different. I have forgotten the name. It could help arbitrary page size for the entire documents and remove unnecessary borders, headers footers and other distractions from pages.

I have a question:
Which file in the archive has an exhaustive list of packages available for wheezy? Not the exhaustive packages file, but only names of the packages.
Books that help:
bkpsusmitaa

Return to General Questions