Moving from Ubuntu to Debian

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Moving from Ubuntu to Debian

Postby David15 » 2021-02-23 05:21

I have been running 4 VMs based on Ubuntu for a couple of years. I don't know exactly why I went with Ubuntu, maybe back in the day because of a lack of experience. Today, for the first time, I tried my hand at Debian by switching the simplest of my VMs (an Nginx reverse proxy) to Debian, which went without any problems, also runs on fewer specs and takes up 75% less room on my hard drive.

So now I’m wondering if I’m missing something. Ok, what I don’t need I guess I don’t have to install, but why does Ubuntu take up 6gb of space more? Is there a way to clean up Ubuntu? I also read Debian doesn’t always support the latest software. For example, Ubuntu 20 does support PHP 7.4 where the default version in Debian is 7.3.

I’ll be testing my latest install for a week or so and might be moving all of my VMs if it all works out, but want to make sure not to run into problems in the long run.

Tips?
David15

Re: Moving from Ubuntu to Debian

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-23 05:50

David15 wrote:why does Ubuntu take up 6gb of space more? Is there a way to clean up Ubuntu?

You should probably ask over at the Ubuntu forums. The server version of Ubuntu is pretty minimal, apparently (I've never tried it).

David15 wrote:I also read Debian doesn’t always support the latest software. For example, Ubuntu 20 does support PHP 7.4 where the default version in Debian is 7.3.

That depends where you catch it in the release cycle. Debian 10 is getting old now so it has v7.3 but Debian 11 will be released in the next few months and that will have v7.4. The package versions don't change over the lifetime of the release, hence the name "stable".

David15 wrote:Tips?

If you want a lightweight VM then try Alpine Linux.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to General Questions