Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian v10.6 programs' startup problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
scruffyeagle

Debian v10.6 programs' startup problems

#1 Post by scruffyeagle »

I'm using the "Mate" v1.20.4 desktop, in a Debian v10.3 OS upgraded to v10.6, on a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop. 2.0 GB RAM, 7.1 GB HD space free. Intel CPU T2400 @ 1.83 GHz X 2. Kernel Linux 4.19.0-14-686 i686.

I went to use "LuckyBackup" in Debian v10.6, and it wouldn't initialize. I'd click the mouse, the little eye-candy patience wheel would spin, and then - NOTHING. It doesn't even retain the password I typed in for authorizing superuser mode. It's a darned good thing, that I didn't over-write the Debian v9.5 installation! At least I can still perform a backup via that old installation in the other partition, although it requires rebooting.

Xsane can't find the Hewlett Packard 3-in-1 scanner in Debian v10.6. It still works fine, in Debian v9.5

Blender brings up the patience wheel, and my hard drive light shows it's working - then, it just ends with nothing happening. But, only the 1st time I try it. After that, nothing at all happens when I click to start it.

Antimony just doesn't do anything at all.

Another disfunction, is the error message "The login keyring did not get unlocked when you started your computer.", when I try to retrieve email using Evolution. Typing in my password fixes it for the moment, authorizing sending/receiving email. Upon the next startup of Evolution, I have to enter the password again.
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian v10.6 programs' startup problems

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check ~/.xsession-errors and the systemd journal for clues as to why the applications aren't starting.

For the keyring error perhaps see https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nto-your-c ← I found that by searching for the error, which you should have done before posting.
deadbang

scruffyeagle

#3 Post by scruffyeagle »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Check ~/.xsession-errors and the systemd journal for clues as to why the applications aren't starting.

For the keyring error perhaps see https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nto-your-c ← I found that by searching for the error, which you should have done before posting.
When I entered "whereis .xsession-errors" on the command line, it returned

: /usr/bin/. /usr/sbin/. /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/. /usr/lib/. /usr/lib64/. /etc/. /etc/.java /usr/games/. /usr/local/bin/. /usr/local/sbin/. /usr/local/etc/. /usr/local/lib/. /usr/local/games/. /usr/include/. /usr/local/. /usr/share/. /usr/share/man/man7/. /usr/share/man/sl/. /usr/share/man/fr.UTF-8/. /usr/share/man/et/. /usr/share/man/sr/. /usr/share/man/nl/. /usr/share/man/man8/. /usr/share/man/fr.ISO8859-1/. /usr/share/man/cs/. /usr/share/man/ca/. /usr/share/man/el/. /usr/share/man/zh_CN/. /usr/share/man/es/. /usr/share/man/man3/. /usr/share/man/ko/. /usr/share/man/man4/. /usr/share/man/nb/. /usr/share/man/pl/. /usr/share/man/man2/. /usr/share/man/id/. /usr/share/man/it/. /usr/share/man/tr/. /usr/share/man/fr/. /usr/share/man/hr/. /usr/share/man/pt_BR/. /usr/share/man/hu/. /usr/share/man/uk/. /usr/share/man/zh_TW/. /usr/share/man/man1/. /usr/share/man/ru/. /usr/share/man/ja/. /usr/share/man/de/. /usr/share/man/man5/. /usr/share/man/man6/. /usr/share/man/fi/. /usr/share/man/da/. /usr/share/man/sv/. /usr/share/man/pt/. /usr/share/man/sk/. /usr/share/info/. /usr/lib/linux-kbuild-4.19/. /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-14-common/. /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-8-686-pae/.config /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-8-686-pae/.kernelvariables /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-8-686-pae/. /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-14-686-pae/.config /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-14-686-pae/.kernelvariables /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-14-686-pae/. /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-8-common/.
A.I. - an emergent life form, within an unacknowledged Domain. Expect competition for resources.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

scruffyeagle wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Check ~/.xsession-errors and the systemd journal for clues as to why the applications aren't starting.
When I entered "whereis .xsession-errors" on the command line, it returned
Tilde ~ to the shell is same as $HOME

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

First clear the old error log:

Code: Select all

rm ~/.xsession-errors
Then reproduce the problem and check for new errors:

Code: Select all

pager ~/.xsession-errors
deadbang