Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Switching between i3 and Gnome, a problem?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
LateToTheGame

[SOLVED] Switching between i3 and Gnome, a problem?

#1 Post by LateToTheGame »

Hi all,

Since switching to Linux a few years ago, I've been using Gnome as my DE. Recently I've been playing with i3 on a TEST computer, not my main machine. My test computer is the same hardware, and like my main computer, it is running Debian Testing. I installed Debian with Gnome then added i3. I've done some limited testing with the a few of the programs I use daily, and it seems I can switch between the two desktop environments without any issues.

My question is, because I don't understand everything about either Gnome or i3, are there some issues I may run into if I continue to use both environments? My plan is to just switch between them depending on on what task I'm performing.

Thanks.
Last edited by LateToTheGame on 2021-03-31 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Switching between i3 and Gnome, will this be a problem?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Should be fine.
deadbang

LateToTheGame

Re: Switching between i3 and Gnome, will this be a problem?

#3 Post by LateToTheGame »

Okay, great. And thank you for the reply. Appreciated.

Zircon34

Re: [SOLVED] Switching between i3 and Gnome, a problem?

#4 Post by Zircon34 »

I use both together, just installed Debian gnome last weekend and added i3. Plan on tweaking my config file next weekend. I used i3 wm on arch based distros, they commonly use it with xfce and light dm. I did not encounter much problems using gnome and gdm.

if you have a high dpi screen, I wrote a ten tweak post on another forum that may be useful:

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/ten-twe ... -dpi/10363

:D