Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is hyper-threading still an issue

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ticojohn

Is hyper-threading still an issue

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I hate to beat an old horse but am wondering if the latest intel-microcode mitigates the issues with what I think Microsoft calls MDS.
I am running Buster on one drive and Bullseye on two other drives. I have hyper-threading turned off in the bios on my Gigabyte motherboard and implemented mitigations=auto,nosmt in grub on my Intel NUC. I don't play "games" and use the NUC mostly for watching videos. I don't seem to have any issues streaming videos but just wonder if it is safe to enable hyper-threading, and even more would I really benefit from doing so?
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

stevepusser

Re: Is hyper-threading still an issue

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Experts worry mostly about attacks coming over the Net. If you're not connected, there's not much to worry about.

Many consider it inherently insecure if you are connected, though.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ticojohn wrote:wondering if the latest intel-microcode mitigates the issues with what I think Microsoft calls MDS
Enable SMT from the firmware ("BIOS") setting and ask the kernel what it thinks:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds
But it's probably worth noting that SMT is a potential source for other, as yet undiscovered, vulnerabilities. The OpenBSD developers decided to disable SMT by default for this exact reason when Metldown & Spectre were first announced and they were proved right when MDS was found later.

https://www.mail-archive.com/source-cha ... 99141.html
deadbang

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Enable SMT from the firmware ("BIOS") setting and ask the kernel what it thinks:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds
Yep, it's an issue. Hyper-threading was already enabled in the BIOS, I disabled it in grub using mitigations=auto,nosmt.
Why did I do it that way? Because it is a pain in the backside to get into BIOS on my NUC. The NUC BIOS only supports a 1024x768 screen resolution and my non-smart TV does not support that resolution.

As always, thanks for your feedback.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.