Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I THOUGHT I Was Reasonably Knowledgeable Of Linux!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.

I THOUGHT I Was Reasonably Knowledgeable Of Linux!

#1 Post by 010101 »

Some may have seen my post calling for help.

The problem was solved, with generously of others.

So I thought that I would pay it forward by surfing this board to help someone solve there problem.

To my surprise, I had a difficult time finding a problem that I could help with.

I have a good knowledge base of Linux, but apparently I am not as knowledgeable as I thought.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any suggestions where to go to learn more about the Linux Operation System.

What I,m looking for is a reasonable comprehensive online guide.

EDIT: Before posting, I used a search engine and found many online sources, to many. To save time, I posted this post for suggestions.

EDIT # 2: I am quite versed on operating my OS. What I'm looking for is the finer details of how the Linux OS works.
Last edited by 010101 on 2021-04-09 15:56, edited 3 times in total.

golinux

Re: I THOUGHT I Was Reasonably Knowledgeable Of Linux!

#2 Post by golinux »

May the FORK be with you!

arzgi

#3 Post by arzgi »

Try some search engine, 'learn linux' as search phrase. Just tested with DuckDuckGo, it found tons of matches :lol:

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

1. Whenever your system presents you with an error code plug it into your favorite search engine to learn about it.

2. install inxi and use it regularly to learn about your hardware and what it is doing.

3. Learn how to read the man pages.

4. Learn how to use some basic CLI in a terminal. That includes finding your way around the file system and manipulating files.

5. Back up your important stuff on removable media. You will bork your system; we all do. You need to be able to fix it.

You don't have to be an expert but it really helps to learn some basics so that you can dig your own way out of trouble. It also helps when you need to ask for help to understand what you are asking.

dice

#5 Post by dice »

For me starting out the archlinux wiki was great help, always will be.

Ill probably get shot down for this but learning to install archlinux is a good start in my opinion. If you really want to go deeper try crux linux.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/

Now in saying that, i prefer debian/devuan over archlinux, as a learning tool archlinux is good.