Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Backporting qt5

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MultiplexLayout

Backporting qt5

#1 Post by MultiplexLayout »

I am trying to backport Qt5 packages to 5.15.2 using the thread "building packages from source the smart way" but when I try "aptitude build-dep qtbase5-dev" i get:

Code: Select all

Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (= 13)
Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends: libgl-dev
Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends: libgles-dev
Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends: libmd4c-dev
Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends: libxcb-util-dev
Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends-Indep: qdoc-qt5 (>= 5.15~)
Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends-Indep: qhelpgenerator-qt5 (>= 5.15~)
Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends-Indep: qtattributionsscanner-qt5
Unable to apply some actions, aborting
trying "aptitude show debhelper-compat" and "libgl-dev":

Code: Select all

No candidate version found for debhelper-compat
Package: debhelper-compat
State: not a real package
Provided by: debhelper (12.1.1), debhelper (12.1.1), debhelper (12.1.1),
             debhelper (12.1.1), debhelper (13.3.3~bpo10+1), debhelper
             (13.3.3~bpo10+1), debhelper (13.3.3~bpo10+1), debhelper
             (13.3.3~bpo10+1), debhelper (13.3.3~bpo10+1)
I have qdoc-qt5, but it's at 5.11.3-4. All the other packages show "unable to locate package xxxx" when I try "aptitude show"

I can clone the source directly from Qt's git, install it to a custom prefix and point other program's rpaths to it and it works fine, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Backporting qt5

#2 Post by steve_v »

MultiplexLayout wrote:Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (= 13)
If you want to backport anything from testing or unstable you'll need to install debhelper >=13 from buster-backports first.
MultiplexLayout wrote:the other packages show "unable to locate package xxxx" when I try "aptitude show"
Aptitude will do that if you ask it about a virtual package, since they don't really exist.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

MultiplexLayout

#3 Post by MultiplexLayout »

steve_v wrote:
MultiplexLayout wrote:Unable to satisfy the build-depends: Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (= 13)
If you want to backport anything from testing or unstable you'll need to install debhelper >=13 from buster-backports first.
MultiplexLayout wrote:the other packages show "unable to locate package xxxx" when I try "aptitude show"
Aptitude will do that if you ask it about a virtual package, since they don't really exist.
Thank you for replying. I have 13.3.3~bpo10+1 installed, but I still get the same error (=13). Also, libglvnd (which provides most of the dependencies listed) has the dependency debhelper-compat =12 , so guess it's not possible?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

It's not really practicable, take it from me. It will break too many other packages already in Buster. GTK 3 and GNOME have the same barriers.

Run Bullseye in a virtual machine if you really need the newer Qt, but also want to stick with stable.
MX Linux packager and developer

MultiplexLayout

#5 Post by MultiplexLayout »

I wondered why there was never an official backport. Guess I know now lol. Thanks for the help.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

For those interested, most of the time a package will backport successfully if you revert to dh-compat=12 in the debian/control file, and if not, I've been successful in reverting the changes in the debian/rules file that made 13 necessary--mostly because we have a dh-compat=12 backport for Stretch, but 13 needs a newer version of Perl, and I'm not touching that essential package with a 10 meter pole.
MX Linux packager and developer