I'm a new user with a few questions

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

I'm a new user with a few questions

Postby Eagekr » 2005-09-02 19:33

How do I turn on paging? When I type in "apt-cache search games" I get a very long list and I can only view the very bottom of that list. How do I see the rest of it, how do I get debian to display everything, or in a way that I can see everything?

I downloaded debian via a network install and selected desktop in the setup menu. It would apper that I only got debian and nothing else. My classmates told me to run startx to get a GUI but when I type in "exec startx" I get an error message that says not found. How do I get startx?

I downloaded firefox via APT and when I tried to run firefox I got an error saying it could not be dispalyed.

I'v had debian for a few days now and it has been an extreamly anoying experance. I can't get anything to work. I've looked though the Debian documents on the Debian web site and I can't find answers to my basic questions. I'm a completey new user, is there a new user guide for people who have never used anyform of linux before?
Eagekr

Re: I'm a new user with a few questions

Postby goweropolis » 2005-09-02 20:02

Eagekr wrote:I downloaded debian via a network install and selected desktop in the setup menu. It would apper that I only got debian and nothing else. My classmates told me to run startx to get a GUI but when I type in "exec startx" I get an error message that says not found. How do I get startx?

I think you just need to type:
Code: Select all
startx

Eagekr wrote:I downloaded firefox via APT and when I tried to run firefox I got an error saying it could not be dispalyed.

Until you get X working, I don't think Firefox will work. It is not meant to be used in a terminal environment.
~ G O W E R O P O L I S ~
goweropolis

Thank you!

Postby Eagekr » 2005-09-02 20:27

Thanks for the info! I should have done the smart thing and read the forums first because I found the some of the answers I was looking for. In fact right now I'm useing firefox to post this reply!
Eagekr

Postby Guest » 2005-09-03 23:28

How do I turn on paging? When I type in "apt-cache search games" I get a very long list and I can only view the very bottom of that list. How do I see the rest of it, how do I get debian to display everything, or in a way that I can see everything?

Code: Select all
aptitude search games | less

Return to General Questions