Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Clean shell

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dawgie

Clean shell

#1 Post by dawgie »

Hi.

I notice that some distros have shells that are setup to clear the screen after logout while others leave the last screen of text.

I can't find where I can configure this. I would like to always erase the screen when someone logs out.

Thanks,
Bob

denise

#2 Post by denise »

I found this on google:

http://www.javacommerce.com/tips/linux/ ... 00002.html

Is this what you're looking for?

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks denise,

That works. Mingetty seems to run faster too. I took a look at a couple other /etc/inittab files. Some of the distro use mingetty and some have handled clearing the screen with a .bash_logout file.
Now I have a little bit better security having clear screens.

Bob

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

If you use bash (which is probable), then create a file in your home directory called .bash_logout, and into that write the commands you want to be executed upon logout. So if you write a simple 'clear' to it, it will clear the screen when you log out.

dawgie

#5 Post by dawgie »

Thank lacek,
problem solved
I installed mingetty & edited inittab to use mingetty. Now by default ths screen is cleared on logout.

As a side benefit, I spent some time looking at the man pages for getty, mingetty, agetty, etc

Bob