Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screensaver and CPU usage

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.

Screensaver and CPU usage

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi, I'm new to Sarge (and Linux). I've put all sorts of meters on my desktop (CPU usage, RAM usage etc..). I have noticed that when the screensaver runs, the CPU is being used up 100% by the process. If needed, here's some relevant info about my computer:
CPU: Pentium 4, 2,66 Ghz
RAM: 1024Mb DDR 400Mhz
I've never noticed if the same thing happens under WinXp. Maybe this is normal, but as far as my knowledge goes, I don't think it is very healthy for a CPU to run at 100% for maybe 1/2 an hour or even longer...
So my question(s) is/are: is this use of the CPU perfectly normal? There isn't anything to worry about as far as the CPU's health goes? Or is there something wrong in my system and I have to do something about it? And if so, what?
Just in case you need to know, I use the moving clock as screensaver.

Thanks for any opinion/comment on the matter

dawgie

Re: Screensaver and CPU usage

#2 Post by dawgie »

Anonymous wrote:Hi, I'm new to Sarge (and Linux). I've put all sorts of meters on my desktop (CPU usage, RAM usage etc..).
Have you tried the "moaning goat meter"
http://linuxmafia.com/mgm/
#apt-get install mgm

I have noticed that when the screensaver runs, the CPU is being used up 100% by the process.
Just in case you need to know, I use the moving clock as screensaver.

Thanks for any opinion/comment on the matter
Have you checked other screensavers? Some of them are very resource-intensive. Or it could be a bug with that particular screensaver.

The only time that I have cpu usage near 100% was when I had an occasional frozen screen with an older version of mozilla-firefox and I had to kill the process to end it.

Terje

#3 Post by Terje »

Could also be your graphics driver. I have an ati card, and with the original ati driver in debian, my cpu rose to 100% when playing a divx movie. With the fglrx drivers from the ati-site I can play 2 movies at once and not have 100% cpu load :-)
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

#4 Post by Guest »

are you using an opengl screensaver? Some screensaver are only good at saving your screen, not your CPU cycles. I personally turn it off, so I only get a black screen after 10 minutes...